Projecting the Georgia Southern offensive starting lineup in 2021

DJ Cadden, Correspondent

This article predicts the starter at each position on the Georgia Southern football team for the 2021 season, with a brief background of each player.

2020 was a rollercoaster season for Chad Lunsford’s team. Despite losing to both of their most bitter rivals, the Eagles finished the season with a dominant bowl victory. The bowl win would push the Eagles to an 8-5 record, which seemed to be just enough for most Eagle fans.

Probably the most notable change for the Eagles will be at the quarterback position. For the first time in four seasons, Shai Werts will not be taking the first team reps at quarterback. However, the Eagles will be able to replace him and other starters in 2021 without missing a beat.

2021 Projections:

Quarterback: James Graham, a transfer from Georgia Tech, was a four-star recruit while in high school. In 11 games, including eight starts, for Georgia Tech in 2019, Graham accumulated over 1,100 passing yards and more than 250 rushing yards in addition to 15 total touchdowns and seven interceptions. However, as a dual-threat, Graham should flourish in the Georgia Southern gun-option offense.

Running Back: JD King is a name that should be familiar to Eagle fans following the 2020 season. While splitting snaps with multiple backs before his injury, King racked up 625 rushing yards and five touchdowns while averaging over five yards per carry. Obviously, many backs will see substantial time, but King should receive the most carries as he is a seasoned veteran.

Wide Receiver: NaJee Thompson is a guy that has done nearly everything for Lunsford. From blocking punts to catching passes, Thompson is a veteran who should finally get his chance to shine on offense in 2021.

Wide Receiver: Khaleb Hood is another guy who has been all over the field for the Eagles. Hood is a lethal punt returner and emerged as one of the Eagles’ top receivers in 2020 as well. He could easily emerge as the clear-cut top receiver in Doug Ruse’s offense next season.

Wide Receiver: Dexter Carter Jr. is a name that should be familiar to most Eagle fans solely because he has already played five seasons in Statesboro. Carter has shined on special teams and came on strong towards the end of 2020.

Tight End: Beau Johnson quickly became one of the top targets for Shai Werts in 2020, as he accumulated six catches for 101 yards and two touchdowns in just four games. Unfortunately, Johnson would suffer a season-ending injury against South Alabama. Johnson is a lethal threat on offense and a huge season should be in store for the young tight end.

Left Tackle: Brian Miller is a star on the offensive line. However, Miller has been hampered by injuries throughout his career as an Eagle. If Miller can stay healthy in 2021, he will emerge as one of the Sun Belt’s top players.

Left Guard: Aaron Dowdell started all 13 games for the Eagles in 2020 and was extremely effective. There is no reason to believe Dowdell will not keep his starting job in 2021.

Center: Logan Langemeier has started 25 consecutive games as a college athlete, with 13 of those coming with the Eagles last season. Langemeier is arguably the most consistent linemen on the team and will anchor the unit next season.

Right Guard: Khalil Crowder started every game he was healthy enough to play in 2020. Crowder is a unit, measuring at 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, he will perform extremely well next season.

Right Tackle: Drew Wilson has started 36 games for the Eagles at right tackle. Wilson is the epitome of toughness and perfectly embodies the attitude of this entire unit.