Softball finds success in Statesboro event

Eagles fall just once in Eagle Round Robin

DJ Cadden, Sports Correspondent

After the annual Bash in the Boro event was cancelled, GS softball lost an important home event. However, the Eagles still had the Eagle Round Robin on the docket to open home play.

The Lady Eagles had three games against Winthrop followed by two more games against College of Charleston.

GS took the first two games against the Lady Eagles, by scores of 8-2 and 3-2. The Eagles rebounded to close out the three-game series as they put together an emphatic 14-3 victory.

After the embarrassing loss, the Lady Eagles rebounded against the Lady Cougars. GS put together consecutive 2-1 victories over the Lady Cougars to close out the weekend with an impressive 4-win performance.

Bailee Wilson led the way for GS, totaling eight hits, a home run and four RBIs over the weekend. The sophomore infielder also drew two walks over the weekend.

Aaliyah Garcia, Kyleigh Richardson and Rylee Waldrep all put together a complete game win over the weekend. This weekend was a huge motivation boost for the Eagle pitching staff.

The Lady Eagles now sit at 6-8 on the year, with just one game remaining before conference play begins.

GS is back in action on Tuesday night as they travel to Columbia to take on No. 20 South Carolina. The game will be televised on ESPN+ and first pitch is set for 6 p.m.

Wednesday’s game is the first of four straight games against ranked opponents.