What Students Can Expect for Fall 2021

Georgia Southern Informs Students about What to Expect on Campus in Fall 2021

As students prepare for Fall 2021, university administers sent out more information about the campus environment that students, faculty and staff can expect to return to.

So far, almost 8,000 vaccines have been administered at campus vaccine clinics.

In accordance with USG guidelines, the university strongly encourages all students, faculty, and staff to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. Unvaccinated individuals returning to campus will be strongly encouraged to wear a mask and practice social distancing if possible.

Students, faculty and staff should not be asked about their vaccination status or treated differently because of it.

Georgia Southern offers the Johnson & Johnson and Moderna vaccines at their vaccine clinics, which will continue through the fall semester.

The Moderna vaccine requires two doses 28 days apart. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine only requires one dose. Both are approved for individuals 18 and older.

“While being vaccinated does not guarantee that you will never get COVID-19, the data has consistently shown the COVID-19 vaccines drastically reduce the risk of severe illness, hospitalization, and death from the disease,” Dr. Brian Deloach, the Georgia Southern medical director said.

The first Moderna vaccine clinic of the fall semester on the Armstrong campus is on Thursday, Aug. 12 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

For students unable to make that vaccine clinic, the COVID-19 vaccine is available at pharmacies, health departments, and other community settings at no cost to the recipient.

Masks will not be required on the Armstrong campus except in the intercampus shuttle, the football gameday shuttle, and Health Center.

Off campus partnering organizations may require students to wear a mask as a condition of their study abroad, externship, internship, or other experiential learning programs.

“Based on current DPH guidance, vaccinated individuals who do not have COVID-19 symptoms will not have to quarantine after a close contact with a person who tests positive for COVID-19,” said communications and marketing in their email to students.

“We continue to monitor the impact of the virus daily and are in frequent communication with state and local public health officials, the University System of Georgia, as well as local government and healthcare administrators so that we can continue to make informed decisions as we navigate this changing environment,” Dr. Kyle Marrero, the university president, said.

Students can also help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by washing their hands, staying home when they do not feel well, and covering their mouth when they cough or sneeze.

To learn more about the COVID-19 vaccines and Georgia Southern’s distribution of them, visit Georgia Southern’s COVID-19 Vaccination Distribution, read COVID-19 Vaccine Virtual Town Hall, or watch COVID Vaccines Unmasked: Questions and Answers from an Immunologist.

The CARES center continues to report COVID-19 statistics, support students, and notify close contacts to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Students with specific questions about contact tracing and notifications should contact the CARES center at covidsupport@georgiasouthern.edu.

For students who need to self-report test results and symptoms help evaluating their situation or answers to their COVID-19 related questions, call the CARES Center at 912-478-CARE (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or email them at covidsupport@georgiasouthern.edu.