Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the National Pan-Hellenic Council Park

Evelyn Spear, Photo Editor

• Students gather outside of the Carruth Building for the National Pan-Helenic Council (NPHC) Park ribbon cutting ceremony on August 18. Georgia Southern currently has a chapter for eight of the nine organizations involved in the NPHC.

• The Xi Tau Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. lights their grill in preparation for the evening’s Festivities. After the ceremony, the participating organizations played music and provided food and water to all participants.

• Former NPHC president, Ayanna Parrish is handing pieces of the ribbon to representatives from each of the participating fraternities and sororities. “We have seen different presidents come in and out during this process but it’s been a lot of work, a lot of diligent work, and a lot of hard days but it’s been a fun journey,” states Parrish.

• Parrish poses with the current members of her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. “I didn’t think they would include me… but I really felt proud to be included in that,” states Parrish.

• The Tau Xi Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority poses for a picture. “Today is a mini celebration because it’s just a soft opening to show our presence on campus,” states Kiana Reed, vice president of the Tau Xi chapter. “I feel like people don’t always know what’s out there, so this is us saying ‘we’re here, and there are safe spaces for you’.”

• The Epsilon Xi Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority poses for a picture. After the ceremony concluded, the participating organizations took group photos.

• The Phi Rho Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity poses for a picture. After working for nearly two and a half years on this project, the participating organizations were excited to see their hard work pay off.

• The Zeta Delta Delta Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity poses for a picture. Following the formal aspects of the ceremony, music began to play students began to socialize.

• The Xi Tau Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity poses for a picture. Students cited many different reasons for attending the event, Mykeyia Brocks came to support her friends in the organizations.

• The Lambda Kappa chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority poses for a picture. “I came out today to support my friends in the organizations on campus,” says India Jeffries, another student that attended the event. “It’s a really historic event.”