Where does your vaccination status matter on campus?

Your vaccine FAQs answered

Ashlynn Melnyk, Correspondent

Georgia Southern University does not currently require a mask on the majority of the campus for those who are vaccinated, except when on campus shuttle buses and in the Health Center.

According to USG institutions, students may “be required by off-campus partnering organizations to wear masks and/or be vaccinated as a condition of participation in experimental learning opportunities such as study abroad programs, externships, and delivery of medical services.”

Where can you be prepared to be asked about your vaccination status?

Medical providers may use your vaccination information in accordance with contact tracing. Providing proof of vaccination gets you out of quarantine.

USG institutions also released that “Medical providers may use a patient’s COVID-19 vaccination status as they would normally under the typical standard of care. Consistent with the normal standard of care, medical care providers may ask for proof of COVID-19 vaccination in treating patients.” 

Does HIPAA protect me from being asked?

HIPAA is defined by the CDC as “a federal law that requires the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient’s consent or knowledge.” Thus meaning HIPAA is mostly only used within healthcare settings with a few exceptions. To find a detailed list of what information is protected, who is required under HIPAA, and who isn’t, click here Your Rights Under HIPAA .

In compliance with GS guidelines, “students should not be asked about their vaccination status.”

If vaccinated and exposed, do you need to quarantine?

Per guidance of the Georgia Department of Health, ‘individuals who have been exposed to COVID-19 and are not showing symptoms will not be required to quarantine.’

Is vaccination status required on campus jobs?

In accordance with Georgia Southern’s guidance, “All faculty, staff and students are strongly encouraged to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. No student, faculty, or staff member should be treated differently based on their COVID-19 vaccination status.” ‘Those fully vaccinated are not required to wear masks or socially distance on campus, but those unvaccinated are strongly encouraged to.’

As Georgia Southern now enters its third week of fall semester, students are still being encouraged to become vaccinated, and to take proper distancing measures. As of right now, there are no requirements for students to wear face coverings, become vaccinated or social distance within classroom settings or around campus. Georgia Southern University continues to offer on campus vaccinations as well as COVID testing and information. Those resources can be accessed at COVID Testing Information and COVID Vaccine Information. Off-campus COVID vaccinations and testing locations can be located through Find COVID Vaccine  and Find a Health Center .