Latine students gather at La Bienvenida Fiesta reception

La Bienvenida Fiesta welcome reception was the final group-targeted reception sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA). Although these welcome receptions are meant to help certain groups of students build community based on their shared identity, the Office of Multicultural Affairs has made it clear that every student is welcome at all of their events. At this particular event, the president of a social club arrived to advertise her club as a resource for Latine students.

“The advisor for the Association of Latin American Students (ALAS) actually sent me an email and told me that this event was going to be happening,” said the president of ALAS, Emily Ramirez. “I didn’t think that I’d enjoy [La Bienvenida Fiesta] as much as I did, but I’m glad I did.”

OMA, in previous welcome receptions, has clearly stated that these welcome receptions are meant for students to get to know each other, build community, and make connections. Most of these events have achieved its goal and provided resources, future opportunities, and connections for all students who have attended.

“I was interested in making new friends, connections, you know, trying to expand my friendship… and connections,” said senior sociology major, Lesley Limon. “I feel like we… still made some connections!”