Eagles move into third in division with series win over Trojans

Kaitlin Sells

The Eagles were able to pull a series win over Troy at home as they took two out of three games over the Trojans over the weekend.

Game One (W; 3-0)

Game one’s MVP was junior Brian Eichhorn as he threw a one hitter, a first for an Eagle since February 9, 2001. Along with that this was a second complete game shutout for Eichhorn in his career.

The Eagles were able to first get on the board in the bottom of the second when sophomore Mason McWhorter sent the ball out of the park for a solo home run for his eighth of the season.

GS was able to increase their lead over the Trojans in the bottom of the third as freshman Christian Avant was able to make it to the plate off of a sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice fly. The Eagles were then able to add one more insurance run in the bottom of the eighth with the help from heads-up baserunning.

Troy’s Andrew Crane took the loss for the Trojans as the pitcher threw two runs off six hits from the mound during his seven innings of play. While Crane did take the loss, he did throw eight strikeouts.

Game Two (W; 7-4)

Once again, in game two the Eagles were the first on the board. In the bottom of the fourth the Eagles were able to put two runs up on the Trojans; one scored off a throwing error and the other off an RBI double. The Eagles were able to continue their lead in the fifth as sophomore Mitchell Golden was able to make it to the plate off a sacrifice fly.

Troy finally answered in the top of the sixth off an RBI double, but the Eagles were able to match that in the bottom of the six by adding three more runs to their lead. Off an RBI double, a home run, and an RBI single the Eagles made the score 7-1 and capped their scoring for the game.

In last ditch efforts the Trojans put up one run in the top of the seventh and the top of the eighth, but it wasn’t enough to overcome the lead the Eagles had built up.]

Sophomore Seth Shuman took to the win for the Eagles as he threw six hits and one run in the six innings he played along with pitching four strikeouts.

Daren Osby took the loss for Troy in the 5.2 innings he played by throwing eight hits and seven runs but was able to pitch four strikeouts as well.

Game Three (L; 7-0)

In the final game of the series the Trojans were victorious over the Eagles. There was only scoring in the first and eighth innings as Troy shutout the Eagles.

The Trojans were able to first get on the board in the top of the first off a solo home run and added two more runs later in the inning.

Following both teams were unable to put any points on the board until Troy put up four more runs in the top of the Eighth.

CJ Carter took the win for the Trojans as he only threw three hits and no runs in the five innings he played along with pitching nine strikeouts.

David Johnson took the loss for GS as he threw six hits and three runs for the Eagles in the 2.1 innings he played. Although he wasn’t able to bring home the win for GS, he did pitch three strikeouts.

What’s Next?

The Eagles will face Kennesaw State on the road on Wednesday, May 9 at 6 p.m.

Kaitlin Sells, The George-Anne Assistant Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu