GS graphic design students win design awards

Tara Bailey

Georgia Southern University graphic design students won silver and gold awards at the American Advertising Awards or ADDYs from the American Advertising Federation of Augusta, Georgia.

Abigail Hutchins and Macintyre Pullen both won a gold ADDY in the Cross Platform Integrated Brand Identity Campaign category for their branding for R&R Chicken. R&R Chicken is a business located in Blackshear, Georgia, and it is owned by Robin and Rick Heavilon.

They created the branding for the restaurant’s BBQ sauces to be sold in stores.

“It basically was taking their existing brand, which is really just for a restaurant, and building it in a way that it can support a restaurant…the sauces and the rubs and all of that…and kind of set them up and grow in a way that is like cohesive, recognizable,” Hutchins said.

Another student to win a Gold ADDY in the Cross Platform Integrated Brand Identity Campaign category was graduate student Ellyn Duncan. Duncan graduated with an undergraduate degree in graphic design from GS in May of 2017.

Duncan’s project titled Element5, she had to create a hypothetical graphic design for a race, which would combine the five elements into different portions of the race. She also incorporated the Navy Seals logo into her design.

“So there’s a swimming portion which is your water, there’s a running portion which was land, and there was going to be a firearms element,” Duncan said.

Students from graphic designer professor Santanu Majumdar’s class received a Silver ADDY for their project, Georgia’s History in 50 Objects, which is a piece that will soon be featured in Georgia Southern’s museum.

The students spent a year in a professional practices class, where they worked in groups to try to get their piece chosen to be placed in the museum.

Not only did the students create the piece, which featured 50 different objects that represent Georgia, they also designed the exhibit where the piece will be located.

Tara Bailey, The George-Anne News Candidate, gadigital@georgiasouthern.edu