Eagles clinch Sun Belt tournament bid with sweep of App State

• Sophomore Shelby Wilson had two homeruns in the series win over Appalachian State. 

McClain Baxley

After going down 4-0 in the first three innings in game one Saturday against Appalachian State, the Eagles could have easily folded and just taken another Sun Belt series loss. They could’ve sat back and let the worst team in the Sun Belt beat them on their own field. But in the first game of Senior Day, several Georgia Southern seniors, and junior Logan Harrell, didn’t let that happen.

Game One- ASU 7, GS 8

The Eagles were finally able to get on the board in the bottom of the third by way of sophomore Mekhia Freeman’s sacrifice fly to score senior Alesha Mann. Later in the fourth, the lead was cut into again with an Alesha Mann double, scoring sophomore Shelby Wilson and Harrell to make it a 4-3 game.

Junior Macy Coleman gave the Eagles their first lead of the weekend with a two run homerun in the sixth. The visitors put pressure on the Eagles with three runs in seventh to make it a two-run game.

Freshman Allyssah Mullis led the charge by reaching on an error with Freeman plating. Junior Hannah Farrell tied the game and Harrell won the game with a walk-off single to bring home freshman Hannah Scarbrough.

Game Two- ASU 9, GS 12

The Eagles scored first in game two with a run in the first, but the Mountaineers responded with a three-run homerun in the top of the second. Mekhia Freeman, senior Haley Carter, and Mullis piled on six runs in the second to make retake the lead at 7-3.

App State was relentless and tied the game in the top of the third with a two-run double and a two-run homerun. Shelby Wilson was the hero of game two with a three-run game-sealing homerun in the sixth inning.

Game Three- ASU 0, GS 3

In the final home game of the season, the Eagles had their best game in weeks. Senior Kaylee Ramos went all seven innings and threw just four hits in a dazzling effort to cap her 3-0 weekend.

Once again it was Shelby Wilson who broke the tie with a three-run homerun in the bottom of the fifth inning.

This weekend was certainly one that the Eagles needed not only for the record, but also for morale.

“I think we found ourselves again, and it’s bigger than just wins,” head coach Kim Dean told gseagles. “When you get late in the season, it’s about your team believing in one another, fighting for one another. These were just three incredible team wins.”

With the wins, GS clinched a bid for the Sun Belt tournament in two weeks. The Eagles can be seeded anywhere from the three seed to the eight seed, depending on results from this weekend.

What’s Next?

The Eagles will travel to Atlanta for a three game series with Georgia State with game one beginning Friday, May 4 at 6 p.m.

McClain Baxley, The George-Anne Sports Editor, gasports@georgiasouthern.edu