Eagles fare well in Florida Invitational

Kaitlin Sells

Overall the Eagles had a successful weekend in Gainesville, having a record of 3-2 for the five games of the weekend and their overall record improving to 10-4.

Iowa State; L (0-1)

Georgia Southern opened the UF invitational with a rough start, losing to Iowa State in eight innings.

Pitchers senior Kierra Camp from the Eagles and Brianna Weilbacher from Iowa State both limited their hits they gave up, forcing the game to go into extra innings.

It was a slow game due to the pitcher’s duel, only seeing nine hits combined from both teams- five from the Cyclones and four from the Eagles.

Taylor Nearad docked the only hit for the Cyclones, and in the bottom of the eighth Kaylee Bosworth was able to deliver a two-out RBI single for the only and winning run.

The Eagles were determined to not let this loss set the tone for the weekend.

Illinois State; W (7-4)

Following a close loss against Iowa State Cyclones, the Eagles were ready and anxious to take their first win of the invitational against the Illinois State Redbirds.

Unlike their morning game, GS picked up the slack and had a multi-hit game, getting into the double digits with 10 hits total.

While the Redbirds took the lead in the top of the first with an RBI double, but the Eagles turned that around in the bottom of the first with three runs with the help from RBI triple from junior Logan Harrell, an RBI single from junior Macy Coleman, and a single and error off the bat of freshman Allyssah Mullis.

The Redbirds attempted to bounce back in the second, taking another run to make the score 3-2, but GS showed this was their game in the bottom of the third as Mullis hit her first collegiate homerun to make the Eagle lead 5-2.

Following, GS and Illinois State were able to both put up two more runs. The Redbirds looked to be possible threat in the sixth with loaded bases, but senior Kaylee Ramos pitched the Eagles into safety and to the win with four innings of two-hit, two-run relief walking four while striking out two more.

Maryland; W (4-1)

Looking to stay on their win streak of one, the Eagles started game three with a quick 2-0 lead from Coleman’s two-run homerun in the bottom of the first and the Terrapins answered with a run in the third inning.

The 2-1 score was drawn out until the bottom off the sixth, but with a reversed play call from the referees initially calling sophomore runner Mekhia Freeman out, and run was counted for the Eagles. Harrell then had an RBI single to score the fourth and final run for the Eagles.

Pitching for GS was freshman Rylee Waldrep, who impressively only gave up six hits, one run, walking one, and struck out three from UMD.

{{tncms-inline account=”Georgia Southern Softball” html=”<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">RAISE THE FLAG! EAGLES WIN!Freshman Wylee Waldrep with the complete game in the circle, Logan Harrell collects three hits and Macy Coleman with a 2-run HR. Eagles move to 2-1 at the UF Aquafina Invitational and play Illinois State up next! <a href="https://t.co/hAPqv080Ab">pic.twitter.com/hAPqv080Ab</a></p>— Georgia Southern Softball (@GSAthletics_SB) <a href="https://twitter.com/GSAthletics_SB/status/967430484786630658?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 24, 2018</a></blockquote>” id=”https://twitter.com/GSAthletics_SB/status/967430484786630658″ type=”twitter”}}

Illinois State; W (7-0)

Having a rematch with the Redbirds was no problem for the Eagles as they extended their winning streak to three.

Illinois State might have been looking to avenge their loss from the day prior, but the Eagles shut that down, only allowing two hits during the entire game from the Redbirds, while GS had nine.

The Eagles pulled ahead quick, and before you knew it they had a 5-0 lead on ISU as junior Alesha Mann hit a three-run homerun for GS in only the second inning.

Continuing their scoring streak, an error allowed for a run to be scored in the third, and an RBI single in the fourth from Mullis got the seventh and final run for the Eagles.

Kierra Camp was up on the pitching mound in this game for the Eagles and while she did walk five players, she struck out three and ended the game with a 113-pitch performance.

University of Florida; L (0-8)

The Eagles’ winning streak was halted by top ranked UF in only five innings.

The Gators made it a fast game, as UF already pulled ahead a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first, and things only got worse from there as Gator Amanda Lorenz got her second RBI double of the game in only the second inning.

The third inning seemed to seal the Eagles’ fate as the Gators picked up an RBI single and a three-run shot.

Pitcher Kelly Barnhill for the Gators had a more than impressive game, giving up no hits and striking out 11 players.

“We’re happy with the overall experience we had this weekend in Gainesville,” Head Coach Kim Dean told gseagles.com. “We will use our losses from the tournament to help us prepare for upcoming games and for Sun Belt play.”

Up Next

The Eagles are travelling to Nashville for the weekend to take part of the Lipscomb Purple and Gold Challenge.