The Lighting of Sweetheart Circle: Snow, ice and Santa Gus

• Courtesy of the GS website.

•  Courtesy of the GS website

Blakeley Bartee

President Jaimie Hebert will return to flip the switch at his second Lighting of Sweetheart Circle, a Georgia Southern University tradition, Thursday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

“It’s one of my favorite traditions,” Hebert said. “… It’s just that time of peace and that time of personal reflection that comes with the holiday season, where everyone gets out there and is thankful for what’s positive in our world. And you flip that light on as a constant reminder of the positive things that we have in our lives.”

The holiday tradition began in 2007, according to a previous George-Anne article, making this the tenth annual Lighting of Sweetheart Circle. The event, hosted by the University Programming Board (UPB), includes a snow machine and refreshments.

In addition to the usual annual activities, this year’s Lighting of Sweetheart Circle will feature an ice skating rink, ornament decorating, a musical performance by the Southern Quartet and a toy drive, according to Bianca Asenjo, the UPB chair of spirit and traditions.

“Students should attend because you won’t find snow anywhere else in South Georgia,” Asenjo said in an email. “It’s a great way for the campus and Statesboro communities to network and enjoy the kickoff of the holiday season together.”

The buildings, lampposts and trees of Sweetheart Circle will be draped in lights, wreaths and red bows for the event, according to the traditions page of the GS website.

“Each year, students and locals alike gather for traditional holiday treats and seasonal music,” the webpage says, “This winter wonderland extends from the Marvin Pittman Administration Building to the GSU-shaped boxwood plants dressed in sparkling white holiday lights at the campus entrance.”

Jozsef Papp contributed to this report.