Three GS school psychology students won statewide awards

Blakeley Bartee

Three Georgia Southern University candidates in the Ed.S. School Psychology program were recognized for their academic achievement at a statewide conference in October, according to a GS press release.

Courtney Smith, Brittney Summerville and Jessica Miller received awards at the 47th annual Georgia Association of School Psychologists (GASP) fall conference in Jekyll Island, Georgia for their strong academic performance and service in the School Psychology Student Association (SPSA), the press release says.

Courtney Smith

Smith received the GASP’s $1,000 Christine Daley School Psychologist Student Scholarship. She said she would use the scholarship funds to continue pursuing her career as a school psychologist who will tailor education for diverse learners, according to the press release.

Smith, a GS alum, taught kindergarten in the Savannah-Chatham County Public School System before returning to GS for her graduate degree.

“As a former public school teacher, I am incredibly proud of our state organization for taking the initiative to support efforts such as this scholarship that aim to retain the best talent in our field for service to the children of Georgia,” Smith told GS News. “I cannot wait to continue serving the children of our state and advocating for them in this new role upon graduation.”

Smith currently serves as a student representative for GS on the executive board of GASP and a committee member on the Picturebook Selection Committee for the Georgia Children’s Book Awards. She also represents the College of Education (COE) on the University’s Graduate Student Organization Council, according to the press release.

Brittney Summerville

Summerville also received the GASP’s $1,000 Christine Daley School Psychologist Student Scholarship, the press release says.

“As a recipient of the scholarship it is an honor to be recognized as an outstanding student and professional among my peers,” Summerville told GS News. “I am passionate about assisting students with academic, emotional and behavior needs, and I am dedicated to serving as an advocate for these students.”

Summerville, expected to graduate in Spring 2018, is completing a yearlong internship with Hall County School System in Gainesville, Georgia. She a member of the GASP and National Association of School Psychology (NASP), as well as a former executive board member of the SPSA, according to the press release.

Jessica Miller

Miller, who is set to graduate in December, was named the GASP’s School Psychology Student of the Year.

A former graduate assistant for the school psychology program and a co-founder of the University’s SPSA, Miller is interning in Douglas County School System, according to the press release.

“It was such an honor to be nominated by one of my professors, Dr. Terry Diamanduros, and to also receive a letter of support from my internship supervisor, Nancy Schusterman,” Miller told GS News. “I am humbled to be recognized by such wonderful individuals and to accept this honor from the Georgia Association of School Psychologists. Receiving this accolade was the perfect culmination to my graduate career at Georgia Southern University.”

Miller is a member of both the GASP and NASP. In February, Miller was a co-author with COE’s school psychology faculty on a presentation at the NASP conference in San Antonio, the press release says.