Irma update: Impact of storm at Georgia Southern and Bulloch County

• Photo taken from Weather Channel. 

Matthew Enfinger

UPDATE 09/12: GS campus closure has been extended to Thursday, Sept. 14 and until further notice. 

UPDATE 09/11Curfew in Bulloch County to end Tuesday Sept. 12 at 6 a.m. 

Irma, now downgraded to a tropical storm, will pass through Georgia Monday afternoon bringing with it damaging winds, flooding rain, tornado threats, and power outages through Tuesday. The Georgia Southern University campus’ closure has been extended to Wednesday, Sept. 13 and until further notice.

Campus closure extended:

The GS campus closure has been extended to Wednesday, Sept. 13 and until further notice.

The university encourages students who are staying on campus or in the Statesboro area to remain indoors.

The Dining Commons is expected to open at 11 a.m. on Tuesday Sept. 12.

Irma’s path and weather updates:

According to The Weather Channel, the center of Irma is located about 30 miles north-northeast of Cedar Key, Florida, and is moving north-northwest at 15 to 20 mph.

Although the storm is moving, a flash flood warning has been issued for Bulloch County from 10:44 a.m. until 2:45 p.m. South Georgia is expected to get 3 to 6 inches of rainfall with storm totals from 8 to 15 inches.

Live weather tracker ventusky.com, forecasts wind speeds up to 24 mph with wind gusts up to 43 mph.

Isolated tornadoes will continue to be a concern early this week.

Power Outages:

Georgia Power has reported 27 power outages across Statesboro impacting 3,276 customers. Outages are expected to increase as tropical storm-force winds continue.

The impact of damages and outages on the GS campus is currently unknown.

Curfew Update:

The Bulloch County curfew that began 11 p.m. last night has not been lifted.

“As soon as the storm passes we got people who are standing by to go out…and they will go out as soon as it is safe enough to do so and start checking roads and seeing if staying they are like any downed power lines on the road or stuff like that then we will lift it [the curfew],” Bill Black, Bulloch County Chief Deputy, said.

The curfew has been extended to include those traveling through Bulloch county for the purpose of evacuation.

Further updates regarding the curfew can be found on The Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office Facebook page and on their website.

The Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office encourages all citizens to remain at home and stay safe.

A hurricane tracker can be found here. The NHC, The Weather Channel and The George-Anne will continue to provide updates on Irma throughout the week.