GS Baseball takes care of business against ULM

•  Photo by Mick Miller

Donald Coe

Friday

The series started off on the right foot for the Eagles, who beat the University of Louisiana-Monroe (ULM) Warhawks 9-3.

Behind a powerful offense and one strong pitching performance, the Eagles were able to handle ULM easily. Senior Jordan Wren began the scoring in the first inning with a double down the left field line, scoring freshman Mitchell Golden.

The highlight for the Eagle offense was in the third inning, when senior Ryan Cleveland sent a pitch over the right center field wall for his sixth home run of the season.

The main story of the game was an outstanding pitching performance from senior Jacob Condra-Bogan. Condra-Bogan went the distance, pitching all nine innings while giving up only three runs.

Saturday

Game two of the series featured a tight matchup between the Eagles and Warhawks, ending in a 5-4 loss for the Eagles.

Georgia Southern was able to strike first with two runs in the second inning before ULM scored five unanswered runs to put the Eagles behind.

The Eagles got two runs back in the seventh to cut the deficit to one, but were held off by the Warhawk pitching in the ninth. Senior Brian Eichhorn struggled on the mound for the Eagles, going three and two thirds innings and gave up four runs.

In this game, freshman Steven Curry went two for three and extended his hitting streak to 14 games.

Sunday

The rubber match was won by the Eagles in dominating fashion with a final score of 9-0.

Sophomore Chase Cohen pitched seven strong shutout innings and the offense exploded, highlighted with a six run fifth inning. The hitting parade was led by sophomore Tyler Martin, who went 2-3 with three RBIs on the day, and junior Logan Baldwin, who hit a three RBI double in the fifth inning.

The Eagle defense was solid behind Cohen, having an error free game and turning a couple of double plays.

The Eagles improve to 17-11 overall and 5-4 in Sun Belt play after this series. The team returns to action Tuesday night at 6 p.m. when the Savannah State Tigers pay a visit to J.I. Clements Stadium.