National Hug a Newsperson Day

Conrad Graham

Did you know that April 4 is “Hug a Newsperson Day”? Neither did we. But let’s take a moment to thank our friends in different divisions of Student Media who bring us news on the regular.

The George-Anne

The campus newspaper, The George-Anne, is published every Tuesday and Thursday. The George-Anne has both print and digital divisions, with the Digital Division focusing mainly on immediate campus goings-on. The print half adds in more in-depth stories and opinion columns while also keeping students up-to-date on campus happenings.

The Circle

The Circle is the video division of Student Media. They do a lot of interacting with students and talking about what’s on everyone’s minds, whether at the Union, the RAC or walking down the Pedestrium. Additionally, The Circle puts on several skits about issues and phenomena that students can relate to.

The Reflector

Here at The Reflector, we place an emphasis on feature-style news. We try to keep a pulse on student reactions to various events so that we can take a deeper look at the underlying “why?” behind various campus issues. We aim to be a more laid-back, timeless type of publication – as befits a magazine. Like The George-Anne, we offer online and print editions. Keep an eye out for out print magazine, which will launch Wednesday, April 19!

Although Student Media is made of students of all majors – film production, journalism, English, writing and linguistics, among others – we encourage anyone with an interest in getting involved on campus to join us. There are jobs for everyone depending on what your interests and specializations are! Be sure to keep an eye out for the candidate program which starts at the beginning of each semester. We try to advertise pretty heavily; even if you are not sure Student Media is the right fit for you, you never know until you try!

If you’re interested in starting now, you can write pieces for either The George-Anne or The Reflector. We’re pretty friendly people, feel free to email us, tweet us or Facebook message us as you please.

In the meantime, go to Sanford Hall, pick up a copy of The George-Anne and hug a newsperson. They may be taken aback, but they will definitely appreciate the recognition. Thank you for your support!