Eagles soar past Savannah State with a mammoth fourth inning

Donald Coe

A seven-run fourth inning was the highlight for the Eagles that got the gears going en route to an 11-7 victory Tuesday night.

Sophomore Tyler Martin launched a grand slam over the left field wall on the first pitch to do the bulk of the damage. The bats were on full display against the Tiger pitching getting 15 hits and eight hitters in the Eagles lineup recording a hit.

The Eagle pitching performance came mostly from the bullpen with eight pitchers taking the mound during the game.

Sophomore right hander Zack Cowart got saddled with his first win of the season, going an inning and a third. The late game pitching for the Eagles was able to hold up the outstanding hitting performance, shutting down the Tiger hitters.

Junior Logan Baldwin, freshman Mitchell Golden and Tyler Martin were all able to do damage in the seven run fourth inning.

Baldwin scored on an RBI fielder’s choice by freshman Jacob Greene, Golden hit a two RBI single, and then Martin came up and hit a two out grand slam. In the second inning, Greene hit his second career home run, sending one to left field on a 3-1 count.

The Eagles return to action this weekend when they travel to Troy to battle in a Sun Belt series with the Trojans.