Feel The Art: The SCAD Art Sale

3970895530_06b60e77fa_z

By Angel Cleveland, Staff Writer

Every seven years, Savannah College of Art and Design hosts their biggest art sale, which exhibits their students’ art for purchase to the public. This year, it was held in Poetter Hall on 342 Bull Street, otherwise known as the Admission Welcome building.

The show room was large and filled to the brim with art. A total of 550 pieces were hung from the walls and displayed on various tables, all encircling a dramatic center piece of a manufactured tree. A light bulb canopy, a trunk of curved bark, and SCAD tags that hanging from the tree completed the setting. The floor was covered with simulated grass, reminiscent of the original art sales from long ago, where Raphael and Leonardo Da Vinci sold their now famous art.

The centerpiece reflected the celebration of SCAD’s 35th year anniversary last year. Student Ambassador Meagan Kennedy, stated that the tree was symbolic of SCAD’s growth from a small art school to an international enterprise.

“SCAD is symbolic to an acorn. An acorn is not expected to grow into a tree. When SCAD started in Savannah, everyone was like, ‘Oh, that little art school won’t make it,’ but now we have 5 campuses spread over seas,” Kennedy declared.

Kennedy continued by explain the significance of the hanging tags. Written on them were the dreams of SCAD students, she said.

The late Whitney Houston’s “Million Dollar Bill” song filled the room and somehow embodied how much these art pieces seem to cost. However, they only ran from ten dollar two-dimensional art to ninety-five dollar paintings. Various media was shown, such as three-dimensional computer art, mixed media, film posters, and photographs. The art was officially bought by SCAD from students artists. Many attended the free art sale, ran by student volunteers and professional art sales managers.

A customer, Lesa Kelly, commented on SCAD’s success and impact on the community.

“Thank God for SCAD,” Kelly said, “It’s been remarkable for the community and has rejuvenated Downtown Savannah. It has also brought culture to the city.”

The event not only helps the artists of the SCAD community, but also those involved in business tracks. Sara Uhlig, a Volunteer Sales Representative, stated her position in the sale gave her some experience for her Arts Administration profession.

This sale won’t be here for another seven years, but Sales Manager for the exhibition, Chris Constas, assures customers that there are several other sales where SCAD art will be displayed.

“The next sale will be on November 11th at the Gutstein Gallery on 201 East Brougthon,” said Constas

Until then, be sure that if you want to see the power of art and its hard-working artists, to pay a visit to a SCAD art sale.