Expand your horizons: International trio comes to campus to make your Valentine’s Day unforgettable

Allison Martinez

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, it might be stressful trying to find a fun and exciting activity to celebrate the holiday. Luckily, the Georgia Southern non-profit organization called “On The Verge” is providing such an opportunity.

On The Verge will be presenting a unique performance from a group of unique musicians known as The SaVaSa Trio, who come from a world famous ensemble.

The Performance, which is free, will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 14 in the Foy Building recital hall and start at 7:30 p.m..

This is event, which is one of many events produced by the On The Verge organization, is a great opportunity to witness a high quality performance by an international trio right, on our campus.

On The Verge

On The Verge does more than book an artist to perform a concert. The non-profit offers a variety of educational opportunities for members of the community in the form of lectures, workshops and classes that are lead by the very artists featured in the series.

Who is the SaVaSa Trio?

The SaVaSa Trio is a group in the modern classical genre, made up of two trumpet players, Sava Stoianov and Valentín Garvie, and a French horn player, Saar Berger. The trio, which are part of a larger ensemble known as “Ensemble Modern” based out of Frankfurt, Germany, are traveling across the world to perform for the GS community. They are considered to be one of the top three ensembles in the world dedicated to new music.

Martín Gendelman, Ph.D., assistant professor of music and head of music theory and composition, is the artistic director for the On The Verge music series. He claims The SaVasa Trio has been the hardest to book since the series began in 2013 because they are internationally based.

More Than Just A Performance

The trio, who will be arriving on campus Monday, Feb. 13, will begin their visit by hosting a masterclass and a lecture during the day and an open rehearsal in the evening. The following morning, The SaVaSa Trio will head to Sallie Zetterower Elementary School to speak to a younger generation of students.

In the evening of the holiday of love, the trio will be giving an unforgettable performance and perhaps an opportunity to meet the group, because of how willing the artists are to interact with the community.

The performance, like all performances by On The Verge, happen due to a number of regular sponsors who support the organization. These sponsors vary from several departments on our very own campus along with support from local business.

Donations Come with Benefits

Since On The Verge is a non-profit, their productions rely on donations. The organization has succeeded for years in getting enough support to provide the community with new musical experiences, and they are grateful for it. Donors can benefit in various ways, ranging from meeting the artists and having dinner with them, to receiving souvenirs and personal invitations to the events.

On the Verge is always looking for opportunities to partner with new organizations and expand horizons. If you are interested partnering with the organization, you can email Professor Martín Gendelman at jmgendelman@georgiasouthern.edu

Although you can expect further productions from On The Verge, this internationally famous group of musicians will only be in town for a short period of time. So take a chance and go experience a modern classical performance by a group of uniquely talented musicians.