Golf Teams finish strong in first Spring tournaments

Thomas Jilk

Women Golf

The Eagles placed third out of 16 teams at the Texas State Invitational Monday and Tuesday (Feb. 13 and 14) in New Braunfels, Texas. Texas State finished second and UT-San Antonio placed first as a team.

Every GS golfer placed in the top 40 individuals in the tournament. Sophomore Ariana Macioce tied for second place overall with a 7-over-par performance over the three-round tournament. Macioce’s first two rounds ended at 1-over-par 72, and she shot a 76 on the final day. Macioce finished two strokes behind Houston’s Leonie Hamm, who took home the individual win.

GS senior Iben Hvass finished 25th overall at 18-over-par for the tournament, including a final day round of 72. Sophomore Ansley Bowman finished 30th (19-over-par) individually. Rounding out the Eagles in the tournament were sophomore Yeji Shin (32nd individual) and senior Lauren Coe (36th ).

Amelia Island Collegiate

In Fernandina Beach, Fla., the Eagles finished seventh out of 18 teams after moving up the team leaderboard four spots on the final day. Mercer, Campbell and Daytona State finished as the top three teams.

Macioce stood out again, especially in round three, where she shot a school record round of 68 – a 4-under-par for the course. Lauren Coe shot an impressive 69 in the final round, vaulting her into 21st individually in the tournament. Macioce and Coe were the only two GS golfers in the top 50 at Amelia National Golf Club, but the team’s final round moved them squarely into the top half of the team leaderboard.

The women’s golf team next competes at the Kiawah Island Invitational in Kiawah Island, S.C. The tournament, hosted by College of Charleston, begins Sunday, Feb. 26 and runs through Feb. 28.

Men’s golf

The men’s golf team played their opening tournament of the spring season in Gainesville, Fla., at the SunTrust Gator Invitational. The Eagles placed sixth out of 15 teams in the field. Arkansas came in first as a team, and Razorback sophomore Charles Kim placed first individually with a 6-under-par performance for the tournament.

GS junior Jake Storey finished in a tie for 12th place individually with a 4-over-par score over the three rounds. In Storey’s second round of the tournament, he shot a 1-under-par 69. Fellow GS junior Archer Price finished one stroke behind Storey, placing tied for 16th with a 5-over-par performance over the three days. Freshman Brett Barron tied for 26th overall with a 7-over-par final score. Sophomore Steven Fisk rounded out the top four Eagles with a final mark of 8-over-par for the tournament.

The Eagles’ next tournament will be the Palmetto Invitational – hosted by USC-Aiken – beginning March 6 in Aiken, South Carolina.