Students form Pure Poetry organization

Natalie Turman

Georgia Southern University’s first student organization that is focused on poetry began making its mark on campus last semester.

Pure Poetry, started by Joseph Wilson, sociology and political science graduate student, allows students to come together to improve and share their thoughts and experiences through poetry.

“I realized that on campus there was no organization that was just dedicated to poetry and no other art form, so I wanted to add that and give people an opportunity to be apart of something that was strictly poetry,” Wilson said.

The group is filled with a variety of students and anyone is welcome to join. Students of all backgrounds and majors comprise the close knit group. Each student has their own reason for joining the group.

“I decided to join Pure Poetry because it’s a way for me to express myself and actually be around people who share the same passions as I do,” Sulzyche Pinnock, freshman psychology major, said.

The members of the club often perform at GSU Unplugged. The club has also hosted various showcases alongside the Impact Ministry group. They have multiple showcases in the works for this semester.

The club also has weekly events for the members to work on their poetry. Meetings are on Tuesdays in the library, room 1300, at 6 p.m. There are also weekly workshops that happens on Fridays at 2:30 p.m. in the union. The workshops gives members a chance to share their work with others to gain help and criticism on pieces.

“Being around so many people that can articulate and put the words in perfect precise manner and then be able to have people understand it as well, just being around it and the vibe is just amazing,” Armani Boone, sophomore psychology major, said.