Statesboro during the Holidays

• Some students can’t go home this winter break and might find themselves without something to do. The Statesboro community offers many opportunities for people to get out and enjoy the break. 

Taisha White

With winter break right around the corner, many students are gearing up to head home for the holidays, but for some students, heading home may not be an option for them.

Luckily, the city of Statesboro will be providing numerous activities and holiday-filled events in the upcoming days and weeks that will keep anyone busy, as well as entertained while school is out.

Many events and activities are holiday themed and are geared towards the entire community. From the Eagle Creek Brewing Company’s Yoga Rave to the Statesboro Youth Chorale and Strings: Winter Showcase, where the choirs of the Youth Chorale will display their musical talents to the city.

Amber Usry, sophomore IT major, believes the numerous events will be able to give students a variety of options over the winter break.

“There seems to be a lot of things that can be done over the break,” Williams said. “It’s better than staying home and doing nothing all day. People should be able to get out and see what’s available to them.”

If you are looking to get immersed in the history of Statesboro, the Statesboro Convention and Visitor’s Bureau has exhibits about the forgotten history of the Spanish in Georgia.

However, if you are not in the holiday spirit but would like to partake in other events, the Averitt Center is currently hosting their Annual Statesboro Regional Art Association Juried Exhibition, where Statesboro Regional Art Association (SRAA) members will participate in an art competition and exhibition.

Ashley Whittemore, marketing coordinator for the Avert Center, is excited this year’s winter break gives the Statesboro community the opportunity to be part of the festivities.

“There are plenty of holiday inspired things to do over the winter break,” Whittemore said. “There is a little something that everyone can enjoy.”