GS achieves historic enrollment record

Erin McGuiness

Georgia Southern University experienced record-setting enrollment numbers for the Fall 2016 semester with total enrollment for full-time students standing at 20,674.

Since 2010, GS has seen a 4.9 percent increase in enrollment – approximately 1,000 students. From Fall 2015 to Fall 2016, there was a 200-student increase. Additionally, the University holds an 82 percent retention/graduation rate. 

Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is the state’s largest center of higher education south of Atlanta with 124 degree programs, division 1 athletic programs and over 200 student organizations.

“We have wonderful people here who day in and day out keep student support as their main objective,” Teresa Thompson, Ph. D., vice president of student affairs and enrollment management, said.

Although enrollment continues to rise, tuition and student fees remained the same last year, and Dr. Thompson said that although these decisions are not up to the institution, GS does not anticipate an increase in tuition or fees in the near future.

Thompson said, “Our students, their families and our alumni are our greatest ambassadors as they continue to tell others about the great experiences they are having here.”