The keys to making a GS advisement appointment

Taisha White

Around the midpoint in every semester, college students can expect that one email from their adviser requesting to sign up for appointments. For most students, this process has become the norm, but for some students, the advisement process can be considered somewhat challenging, especially if it’s a first-time experience.

The purpose of the advisement process is to bring students and advisers in different colleges and departments together to discuss their future college plans, classes they need to take and for upperclassmen, possible internship opportunities and graduation.

Alan Woodrum, assistant provost, believes that the advisement process is created to benefit students in the long run.

The main goal that advisers hope their students take away is greater confident in the next step of their academic journey,” Woodrum said.

The advisement process is broken down into three sections.

The beginning

In the beginning portion of the advisement process, students will receive an email from advisers requesting to make an appointment. This is where students should log on to their mygeorgiasouthern.edu page and head to the Grades First page, where it will lead to a calendar where students can pick a specific time to meet their adviser.

Once a student makes their appointment, a confirmation email will be sent out.

During advisement

Before the advisement begins, it is essential for students to be at their adviser’s office on time. Students who are late may lose their spot and have to sign up for a later time frame.

Students and advisers will meet for 20 to 30 minutes and in that time frame, the student and adviser will discuss future courses that need to be taken. Beyond the education process, students will be able to speak on any issues students are facing in class, such as time management skills and studying issues.

Students are then given an advisement form that shows what classes are required the next semester, their current GPA , comments made by the adviser and the Registration Access Number (RAN), which will give each student access to sign up for classes when the registration period begins.

The aftermath

At the end of every advisement appointment, students are asked to fill out an exit survey, which will give students the ability to speak on if they got all the information they need from their adviser.

This process is required for all students. If students do not sign up for advisement in a timely manner, then they will not be able to sign up for classes during the registration period, which will create issues with finding specific required classes.

Kyle Flowers, senior mechanical engineering major, gives a specific tip for those students who are going into their first advisement meeting.

“Be prepared and know what you need to be doing,” Flowers said. “The advisement process is supposed to benefit all students, so if you any help or you have any questions, ask.”

Jasmyn Cornell, senior theatre and journalism major, believes that students should treat advisement as a business meeting.

“Take it seriously, dress appropriately and be on time,” Cornell said. “This meeting is beneficial to your future and you want to make sure that you have all the information that you need.”