Halloween brings GS and Statesboro together

Taisha White

The annual Halloween celebrations in the Georgia Southern and Statesboro communities allows people to express themselves in creative ways, all while bringing people together.

For most individuals in both communities, Halloween is a fun and festive way for the community to come together.

“Everyone dresses up and has fun and it allows people to revert back to their innocence and their childhood,” Roxie Santiesteban, a resident of Metter, said. “When you have children, it’s a lot more fun. It’s a great time for families to be together and it’s one of my favorite holidays.”

Each year brings a variety of Halloween related events, from Scare in the Square in Downtown Statesboro or the Bulloch County’s annual Trick or Treat at Mill Creek Park.

Although many of the Halloween events in the Statesboro area are geared towards the entire family, the main people who are bound to receive the greatest enjoyment are the kids.

Fabiola Trujillo, a Metter resident, believes kids are the main reason for Halloween.

“It’s not about the families. It’s about the kids,” Trujillo said. “It allows kids to enjoy themselves and have a great time.”

All in all, each Halloween is bound to be bigger than the last, bringing a greater bond to members across the city and campus community.

“Halloween is a fun way for kids to get out and have fun,” Christie Carpenter, Brooklet resident, said. “Sometimes Halloween can be a little scary for kids, so the community has things for kids that can not be as scary for them. So that’s a good thing.”

Fright Night

The second annual Fright Night has made its way from the RAC to the Hanner Fieldhouse Old Gym.

Free to all GS students, the Fright Night haunted house will feature a variety of props and special effects. University board members as well as volunteered faculty and staff will appear in a variety of costumes in the haunted house.

Keandra Goodman, special events chair for UPB, explains why individuals should attend Fright Night Halloween weekend.

“Fright Night is more of an alternative to other things that are happening on Halloween weekend,” Goodman said.

UPB has been planning this year’s Fright Night since the end of last semester.

“Well last year was the first Fright Night and we had a great turn out,” Goodman said. “It will be a safe, free and fun outlet on campus, where students can enjoy themselves without having to go into the city and getting caught up in the madness of Halloween weekend.”

Stephanie Scott, sophomore fashion merchandising major, is excited to attend the haunted house.

“The haunted house sounds like a lot of fun,” Scott said. “I would love to go.”

Fright Night will be opening its doors Friday, October 28 at 7 p.m. and will be open until 10 p.m. Eagle ID is required in order to participate in the event.

Halloween Costume Contest

The annual Halloween Costume Contest, held by the University Store, will allow students to show off their best and most creative Halloween costume for a prize.

Students, either as an individual or as a group, entering the contest will be judged by a group of staff members. Costumes will be judged based off of creativity, originality and their ability to portray a character/characters in the best way.

Carlita Slatky, director of the University Store, explains how the costume contest is a great way to bring the GS community together.

“I think that sometimes we are all about academics and business and I think this is just fun, lighthearted way to celebrate a holiday,” Slatky said. “We are not really here for Thanksgiving or Christmas because the campus is usually closed. This is one of the few holidays we can actually get into and have fun with here on campus.”

Winners will be ranked third to first place for individuals and as whole for the group contest. Third place wins a $25 University Store gift card, second place wins a $50 University Store gift card and first place wins a $100 University Store gift card. Winners of the group contest will each receive a $10 Chick-fil-A card.

Meghan Brown, sophomore early childhood education major, believes that Halloween gives people the ability to express themselves.

“I feel like it’s the one time of the year where we all get to truly express ourselves as who we really want to be and who we truly are inside,” Brown said. “I always feel like Halloween is our day to do that and that’s why we celebrate it.”

The contest will be held on October 31 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the University Store. Winners will be announced at 5 p.m. on the GSUStore Facebook page.