Things to do: Southern Adventure’s monthly Bouldering Night Out

Hunter Williams

On the last Thursday of each month during the academic semesters, Southern Adventures hosts an event called Bouldering Night Out (BNO) at the bouldering cave inside the RAC.

Bouldering is a type of rock climbing that is done at a low height without a harness, to decrease the chances of getting injured in the event of a fall. Whereas the climbing wall is where climbers go to improve how high they can actually climb, the bouldering cave allows climbers to concentrate more on refining their technique and building climbing strength.

All students are welcome to participate in the event whether they are experienced or first-time climbers.

“It really provides a great opportunity to get your friends together for a fun night doing something unique, plus it’s free,” Forest Mitsch, a senior hospitality major, said, “I wouldn’t say that myself or any of my friends are experienced climbers but we had a great time anyway.”

The event is also a great way to answer one of the most common questions newer students have after arriving at Georgia Southern, ‘what to do in such a small town.’

“As a second year student I am always looking for new and exciting things to do around Statesboro and Southern Adventures does a great job offering things that are more exciting than going out to eat or going to see a movie” Miguel Gonzalez, a sophomore business major, said.

At each Bouldering Night Out there will be raffled prizes and free food available to all participants. Also, each semester Southern Adventures offers a semester-long competition involving the BNOs. To enter the competition participants must compete in at least three of the four events and fill out scorecards. The participant’s top five scores will count as their total for that particular BNO. The participants with the highest total scores in each division: beginner, intermediate, and advanced will receive prizes at the end of the semester.

If you are interested in using the bouldering cave during a non-BNO event, it is open to all students during normal RAC hours. Visit the RAC’s webpage for Bouldering Night Out or Southern Adventures online for more information.