Office of Alcohol and Other Drugs informs students about alcohol effects

Taisha White

Underage drinking dangers is a topic that the Office of Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) is attempting to communicate to GS students after the shooting death of Georgia Southern student Blake Shurling on Aug. 31.

The Office of Alcohol and Other Drugs Programs (AOD), located in the Dean of Students office, is a campus resource where students can learn about the negative impact alcohol and other drugs can have on themselves as well the people around them. Students, faculty and staff can receive help as well as counseling if alcohol or any other drugs become a negative influence in their life.

Aijah Phillips, graduate assistant at the AOD office, explains how the AOD teaches students about the consequences of alcohol.

“We offer presentations on drugs and alcohol and if a teacher would like to have that presentation in their classroom, they would have to request it. Most of the teachers that request presentations are from freshman professors,” Phillips said. “We also want people to know that we are here to help with any drug related issues that students have. What people need to understand is that they can not get in trouble if they come to us with their issues. We keep all information confidential and we are willing to work with students to provide accurate help.”

The usage of alcohol in any college atmosphere has become a norm over many years.

According to a study conducted by National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, in 2014, 87.6 percent of people over the age of 18 reported to have drank alcohol at one point in their life.

The negative effects of alcohol can result in problems, not only in a physical sense, but mentally and emotionally as well.

Physical effects

Depending on the person, too much consumption of alcohol can result in brain damage, memory loss and anxiety, according to know your limits.info. Bodily damage that comes from too much consumption of alcohol includes liver failure, heart damage and infertility in both men and women.

Law and criminal effects

The overconsumption of alcohol has led to numerous arrests and issues around the world. In the state of Georgia, if under the influence and driving, the blood alcohol level for anyone under the age of 21 should be less than 0.02 and anyone over the age of 21 should be less than 0.08. Anyone who is considered over their limit will likely face multiple charges, including a DUI and could possibly receive jail time.

Freshman psychology major Najeh Thompson feels that colleges have the ability to teach about the effects of alcohol, but students have to be willing to take advantage of the information.

“I feel like knowledge is power, but at the same time, it depends on what you do with that knowledge, that gives you that power,” Thompson said. “People know that certain things like smoking and drinking are bad for you, but it doesn’t mean that it’s going to stop them from doing that. It all depends on the perception and what people do with the information.”

Senior Mechanical Engineering major Sarah Black believes that colleges have more alcohol-related issues because of the amount of freedom students have.

Black said, “There are a lot of students that were under such strict rules when they were in their parents’ house, that the moment they get to college, they realize there are no rules. They kind of get really wild.”

For more information on alcohol-related issues or how you can receive any help, head over to students.georgiasouthern.edu/aod or head to their office in the Russell Union building, room 2022.