The Statesboro Main Street Farmer’s Market: a place to learn about your community

Tom Barszcz

Attending the Statesboro’s farmer’s market in downtown is one way to learn about and support Bulloch County locals. From farmers selling their locally-grown produce to craftsmen who sell the products of their hobbies, one can find something or someone of interest from a farmer’s market vendor.

Take Greg Aksdal for example. Aksdal started a business with his wife Carol called “Crafts by Greg and Silver” where they sell wooden crafts and jewelry that they make at their home in Pembroke.

“One of my grandfathers did [woodworking] a lot when I was a kid. And as an adult I’ve always liked making stuff,” Aksdal said.

What started as a hobby for the couple is now a side business where they rely on their customers at the farmer’s market to support doing what they love.

“I don’t do any advertising so being here [at the farmer’s market] is good for local exposure. This is my 5th year being a vendor,” Aksdal said.

From small toy cars to key racks made of spark plugs to custom wine bottle and glass holders, Aksdal makes woodworking crafts of all different shapes and sizes.

Aksdal also makes furniture and will even take on custom projects upon request. You can find Aksdal crafts at the farmer’s market every Saturday.

Students can also find vendors at the Georgia Southern farmer’s market. There, interns of farmer’s market vendors sell wares on campus. Aksdal’s intern, senior sociology major Jacob Cordoba, represents Aksdal and sells his wares every thursday.

Cordoba became Aksdal’s intern after sending an application to the director of the downtown farmer’s market. He was interviewed and then paired with Greg after being found most compatible to learn and work with him.

“My prior work experience involved selling a lot of crafts in a Christian book store,” Cordoba said.

After just a few weeks of being paired with Aksdal, Cordoba explained that he already learned a lot.

“He’s a great mentor. He really knows what he’s talking about when it comes to marketing and selling. He’s a great guy, and I really enjoy working with him,” Cordoba said.

Getting involved with the farmer’s market is a great way for students to acquire a local mentor and also get involved with the community.

“I really wanted to network and get more involved with the Statesboro community and that’s what I’ve done so far, especially on Saturdays [at the farmer’s market],” Cordoba said. “Before this semester I wasn’t really involved with the community, so it’s nice seeing local businesses and learning how small businesses work.”

The downtown farmer’s market is held every Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the Sea Island Bank parking lot, across from the Averitt Center for the Arts.