Protesters gather for ‘campus carry’ veto

Brea Dupye

Protesters and House Speaker David Ralston, gathered together Thursday afternoon, April 14, outside of Sugar Magnolia Bakery and Café at a campaign event for Rep. Jon Burns, R-Newington, Georgia House majority leader, to display their disapproval on the pending state law that would allow handguns on college campuses.

According to the Statesboro Herald, the protestors were chanting “No guns on campus!” about 50 protesters held handmade signs that called for Gov. Nathan Deal to veto “campus carry”.

A retired public school teacher and Statesboro resident, Laura Campbell, was at the protest advocating against the bill.

“I would like to know why in this universe they think it would be a good idea to have carry on campus. It makes no sense,” Campbell told the Statesboro Herald.

The bill that was passed, allows people over the age of the 21, to carry guns on public college and university campuses. Specific rules for carrying the gun are, it must be concealed and not openly carried, and it can not be brought into building used for athletic events or campus housing (sorority and fraternity houses included).

The protesters were in the parking lot for an hour into the event, matching the crowd size people who came out to actually hear Burns and Ralston speak.

Gov. Nathan Deal has until May 3 to veto or sign off on the bill.

Source:

http://www.statesboroherald.com/section/1/article/73888/