Simmons steps up in Sun Belt competition

Marqus Williams

Mike Hughes isn’t the only player on Georgia Southern from Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Meet six-foot-eight forward, Coye Simmons. Simmons is a sophomore and has established himself as a key contributor to the Eagles this season. He averages 3.7 points per game and 5.5 rebounds per game and even though his numbers don’t jump out, his energy and defense have been his biggest contribution.

His physical frame and athleticism has given him the ability to produce the highlight plays the Eagles have used throughout the latter part of the season. 

Coming from the small town of Winston-Salem, Simmons talked about a few key things he noticed as a difference in both places was Statesboro was bigger and you meet a lot more people here. 

He knows being a student-athlete has its ups and downs. He’s been balancing his assignments and having good time management skills have been a key focal point in his success as a student.

“Trying to get your work done before the due dates and time managing is the hardest thing,” Simmons said.

With heart and energy being key contributions to Simmons’ game, he has shown hard work pays off. He didn’t start off as a regular in the starting lineup, but as the season progressed, he became a well-known name in the GSU community. His game against Georgia State with his highlight block play in the final minute was a big moment for him.

“It felt good, it just really goes to show that hard work really does pay off,” Simmons said.

Simmons has said the main thing he’s progressed with throughout the season was bringing high energy levels on a consistent basis and learning the plays well enough that they become second nature to him.

As a sophomore, Simmons has two more years of eligibility after this season, so this won’t be the last time people will see Coye Simmons.

Fast Facts

Favorite rappers?

1. Lil Wayne: Album Tha Cater III, 2. Meek Mill

Favorite food?

Chicken Alfredo

If you could vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Dubai