App State Students Planning Protest Before Thursday Night’s Game

• Photo Courtesy of Facebook

Gabe Thomas

According to the Facebook page for the event, students are protesting the rise in student fees and decrease in faculty salaries and student services funding while athletic spending continues to increase.

At 2:00 this afternoon, students will host a walkout and teach-in protest in a student parking lot that the university is requiring students to clear to make room for tailgaters.

“With increased budget cuts from the state, the need to increase enrollment, tuition, and student fees is unavoidable. However, most imperative is the need to allocate university funds in a way that benefits the campus community,” said the description on the event’s Facebook page. “The loss of student, staff, and faculty parking to accommodate the needs of tailgaters speaks to the larger issue of Appalachian State’s deteriorating prioritization of both students’ education and ethical treatment of faculty and staff.”

The description also notes that the parking lot’s purpose is to help fulfill the needs of education. By having a teach-in in the parking lot, a protest that includes a general education forum, the parking lot will fulfill its purpose.

As of right now, 241 people on the Facebook page have said they will be attending the protest.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1061522653892882/