Digital Photography courses offered by Continuing Education

Jozsef Papp

The Continuing Education Division at Georgia Southern University is currently offering digital photography classes for students, faculty, and staff to participate during the Fall semester.

Everyone is using digital photography these days. Long gone, are the days of old fashioned film,” Anna “Kye” Daniels, Staff Assistant at the Coastal Georgia Center, said.

The program offers the “Smart Photography with Your Smartphone” course on Oct. 19 and Oct. 21 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Coastal Georgia Center in Savannah.

“People love photography but may feel frustrated by all of the various controls and settings on their cameras. These classes are a fun and rewarding way to open doors for the students to take control of their photography and perhaps evolve from just “taking” photos to “making” photos,” Robert Cooper, Photography Instructor at the Coastal Georgia Center, said.

The course costs $90 and it is intended to teach participants how to take better cell phone pictures, as well as how to share them on social media and e-mail.

“The purpose of the class is to teach casual or beginning smartphone users how to capture images, and then edit, enhance and finally share their images with friends and family,” Cooper said.

There are no requirements to participate, however, Daniels does ask people who wish to take part of the course to have a smartphone.

“As long as you have a Smartphone, you can take this course. It will be helpful if the student has a basic knowledge of how to use their particular phone, like how to download apps, etc.,” Daniels said.

Although the smartphone course is being offered in Savannah, digital photography classes are also offered at Georgie Southern.

“Both GSU and Savannah offer many of the same courses. Savannah just got a head start on this class,” Daniels said. “Classes take time to build but we are confident Robert’s classes will be a great offering in our upcoming 2016 catalog.”

The relationship between the Coastal Georgia Center and Georgia Southern continues to grow through courses just like the digital photograph classes and some online courses.

“Our team from Savannah and Statesboro meet on a weekly basis and discuss upcoming opportunities for the community at large. We are all under the same umbrella group, The Division of Continuing Education, but in two locations,” Daniels said. “Our goal is to reach as many members of the community in southern Georgia to offer lifelong learning options.”