Courts Uphold Case Against NCAA

Gabe Thomas

Both the NCAA and those fighting for more compensation for student-athletes achieved a victory Wednesday when a U.S. federal appeals court made a ruling in the NCAA appeal of the Ed O’Bannon case.

According to NCAA, the court upheld the original decision that the NCAA violated antitrust laws by limiting compensation to student-athletes, but also struck down a decision to pay student-athletes as much as $5,000 a year. 

The original decision made in a U.S. district court in August 2014 was an antitrust lawsuit filed by former NCAA men’s basketball player Ed O’Bannon. O’Bannon claimed the NCAA violated antitrust laws by profiting commercially off student-athletes’ likeness without compensating the students.

In a 2-1 decision, the appeals court ruled that while the NCAA did violate anti-trust laws, it was “erroneous” to mandate universities to pay more than the cost of attendance that the NCAA has now approved for universities to give to their student-athletes. 

The NCAA has the option to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, but has yet to comment if it will do so.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13777916/appeals-court-nixes-plan-pay-student-athletes-ed-obannon-case-agrees-ncaa-violates-antitrust-laws