East Georgia Regional Hospital donates to nursing students fund

Tiffany Skinner

Georgia Southern University has received a gift from East Georgia Regional Medical Center toward the School of Nursing Students’ Memorial Fund established in memory of the five nursing students who lost their lives in a tragic accident on April 22, 2015.

East Georgia Medical Center donated $ 41,670 to the Nursing program. This is the largest monetary gift the University has ever received. $25,000 of the corporate donation was a gift from the hospital. The rest of the money which in total in was $16, 670 was kindly raised by the hospital’s leadership, Board of Trustees, physicians and employees.Achievements to commemorate the lives of the beloved nursing students through a gift to the scholarship fund were led by Bob Bigley, CEO of East Georgia Regional Medical

“The loss of life is tragic. Certainly the loss of five nursing students and the injury of two others impacted all of us in the medical community.We all thought long and hard on how to recognize these individuals and the contributions they were going to make in caring for others. We all agreed that providing a lasting tribute for their chosen profession as the most appropriate way to honor them, their profession and those that will follow,” said Bigley. “

Since then with the help of family, friends, and supporters all over the country they have been successful in raising $. 90,000. After reaching their goal of $125,000 the University will will fund five $1,000 scholarships to students in the Nursing program each year. 

“The nursing program gives out several scholarships , but I don’t receive any. It would be great if I could qualify and be chosen to receive this new scholarship because the program is very expensive,” Mark Bernadel Junior Nursing student said. 

Georgia Southern University’s School of Nursing is fully accredited by the Georgia Board of Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. individuals interested in helping to reach the $125,000 goal through a contribution to the scholarship fund are encouraged to visit GeorgiaSouthern.edu/nursing.

“The support we have received from the medical community and friends of the University following the tragedy will enable us to perpetually remember these remarkable young ladies while making a difference in the lives students dedicated to caring for others for generations to come,”Interim President Jean E. Bartels, said.