The Future of Fashion

• Models showcase designs by GSU student Latanya Atwell-Cooney

Kat Shuman

Georgia Southern’s Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design program was recently named one of the top fifty fashion design schools in the United States.

Senior fashion design major Becca Romesburg, shared the key to Georgia Southern’s success: “Georgia Southern’s fashion design program exemplifies their motto, ‘large-scale, small-feel.’ Fashion majors are taught in small classes where students receive personalized attention from their professors.

“It’s easy to develop a good relationship with your professors,” Romesburg said. “All of the professors in the program will go out of their way to help you with anything you need.”

Romesburg shared that it was not uncommon for professors to purchase extra supplies for their students and work with them on the weekends when they need help, also praising Professor Hope Wallace for her dedication to her students. “If I need a zipper or a special tool for a something I’m making, I can count on Professor Wallace to help me.”

Despite the busy schedules the professors in the program have, they care about their students’ work. “One reason I love the program is because professors want to know your perspective and your ideas for you collection. They love to know what you’re interested in,” Romesburg said.

Another reason for the program’s success is that it allows students to have access to campus resources outside of class hours. Students of the program have swipe access to buildings and facilities, so they can work whenever they choose to do so. The fact that many students take advantage of this privilege proves Dr. Wallace’s theory for the program’s success. “Our students are hardworking,” Wallace said. “They don’t complain, and they are passionate about what they do.”

Many of the students in the program are from Georgia, though some hail from farther regions of the country. Once students complete the program, they all have the opportunity to travel wherever they wish to work. Georgia Southern students have interned and worked in places such as New York, Los Angeles, Oregon, England, and parts of Europe and Africa. Georgia Southern alumni from this program are currently working with companies such as Calvin Klein, Jones New York, Bloomingdale’s, Macy’s, Donna Karan, Zac Posen and many others.

Wallace stated that students in the program are prepared for jobs when they leave Georgia Southern, something that Romesburg confirmed by adding that the program allows students to network with future employers while they are still in college. The fashion design program at Georgia Southern no doubt prepares its students to be the best when they head into the workforce. Their spot in the top fifty fashion design school is well deserved.