Errors down the Eagles against Troy

Robert George

The Georgia Southern softball team was swept this weekend by conference opponent Troy, dropping the Eagles to 12-32 (4-13 Sun Belt) on the season.

Game 1 (L 1-7)

Troy jumped out to an early lead, scoring a run in the first inning. In the third, the Eagles put runners on second and third with two outs. Sophomore Morgan Robinson bounced a single up the middle that scored freshman Alesha Mann to tie the game.

But, the Trojans responded with a big inning of their own. They capitalized on two Eagle errors and a couple of walks from freshman Kierra Camp to score four runs to take a 5-1 lead. Amanda Winters blasted a two-run home run to make the game 7-1.

The Eagles put runners on base in the bottom of the seventh, but didn’t score any more runs. Camp allowed seven runs, four of which were earned, on nine hits and two walks. Robinson was the only Eagle to get more than one hit, as she went 2-4 with an RBI.

Game 2 (L 3-7)

The Trojans jumped out to an early 2-0 lead, getting three hits and drawing two walks off freshman Heather Felt in the first inning. They added three more runs in the third to make the score 5-0 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, Mann and sophomore Emily Snider were on base when Robinson belted a three-run home run to make the game 5-3. But that was all the Eagle offense got, and the Trojans scored two more runs to make the final score 7-3.

Eagles’ Kaitlyn Johnson, Lexi Allen, Breanna McLendon, Emily Snider and Robinson all collected one hit on the day. Felt pitched all seven innings, giving up seven runs on 10 hits, four walks and seven strikeouts.

Game 3 (L 1-13)

The Trojans scored six runs, all unearned, in the first inning and didn’t let up the rest of the way. They added four more runs in the second inning to go ahead 10-0. Robinson drove in the lone Eagle run when she belted a line drive off the fence, scoring Snider.

The Trojans added three more runs in the fifth inning to run-rule the Eagles.

In all, the Eagles committed 11 errors leading to 13 unearned runs in the series. Defense has been an issue for the Eagles this season, and the offense and pitching weren’t able to overcome it this series.

Robinson had an excellent series, going 5-10 at the plate in the three-game stint. She had every one of the team’s RBI’s for the weekend, tallying five total.

The Eagles will return to action this Tuesday when they travel to take on SEC opponent South Carolina. First pitch is at 6 p.m.