Georgia Southern to issue refunds after coronavirus closures

Blakeley Bartee

STATESBORO—Georgia Southern University plans to refund dining plans, graduation fees, housing plans and other fees in April after closures from COVID-19, according to an email from GS Communications and Marketing.

The university’s goal is to disperse the funds between April 6 and April 10, according to the email. The refunds for housing and dining are based on March 16 as the last day of service, meaning GS will refund 44% of the plans.

Dining Services will continue to offer limited, pick-up only service with payments from cash, credit cards and Eagle Express cards, GS states.

Refund breakdown

• Housing and dining: 44% of the amount paid per plan. Students who will continue to live in the residence halls during the closure will not be refunded their housing plan, but they will still be refunded for dining.
  • Graduation: A full refund of $35 per student. Spring graduates only.
  • Parking: A $25 refund for all students who purchased a spring parking permit.
  • Activity: $10.10 per Statesboro campus student and $4.90 per Armstrong campus student.
  • Recreation: $4.50 per Armstrong campus student and $4.20 per Statesboro campus student.
  • Transit: $24.37 per student on the Statesboro campus. This fee is only paid by Statesboro students.
  • Housing Residence Life: $8.83 per student.

Other student fees have been determined necessary and will not be refunded, according to the email.

“All other fees have been carefully studied and vetted with the University System of Georgia and deemed to be essential to the continuity of instruction and business operations,” reads the email from GS.

The graduation fee refund comes after the 2020 spring commencement was canceled in response to COVID-19 concerns. Although President Kyle Marrero announced that GS was exploring other options, including a possible rescheduling, no alternative plans for celebrating graduates have been announced at press time.

How to prepare to receive the refunds

To receive the refunds, students will need to be sure their home address and direct deposit information is up-to-date. For instructions on how to update your banking information, click here.

To receive manual checks instead, students can confirm or update their permanent home addresses in WINGS by selecting “Personal Information,” then “View Address & Phone,” according to the email.

GS states in the email, “We understand that these uncertain times have left you with many questions. Please rest assured that we are working diligently to provide answers as fast as possible.”

Blakeley Bartee, The George-Anne Editor-in-Chief, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu