Campus confirmed safe after police respond to masked suspect

Will Price

UPDATE 4:08 p.m.: 

GSU President Brooks Keel released a statement to students in an email this afternoon regarding the suspicious person incident this morning.

“I realize that the circumstances of this event may have caused concern and alarm and may have inconvenienced some. However, the safety of our students, faculty, and staff is thinking is always paramount in our thinking and in our actions.

I would like to offer my sincere appreciation to the campus community for remaining calm and acting accordingly during this situation. I also want to thank the emergency response personnel on campus, as well as the City and County law enforcement that assisted our Office of Public Safety with protecting our campus.”

———————————————————————————————————–

UPDATE: 

GSU Public Safety has now confirmed the incident that occurred this morning was a student prank. 

“Our team acted swiftly by immediately responding, cordoning off the area and evacuating the building,” Chief Michael Russell, director of Public Safety on campus said in a press release. “Students, faculty and staff were notified within minutes by phone, text and email that there was an incident on campus and to stay put while officials investigated.”

Public Safety issued an all clear at approximately 12:30 p.m. and will continue the investigation.

———————————————————————————————————–

Georgia Southern University Office of Public Safety has confirmed there is no longer a threat to campus after an Eagle Alert warning students of a potential masked suspect in the math & physics and old biology building.

Earlier this morning police officers responded to a report of a masked individual in the previously mentioned buildings. At 8:29 a.m. GSU Public Safety issued an Eagle Alert asking students to stay locked in whatever room they were in on campus, or to stay off campus until further notice. 

The biology building and math & physics building were both evacuated and cleared successfully, according to the latest update issued by GSU Public Safety. 

Public Safety asks that students still do not enter the biology building or the math & physics building until further notice. Activities in all other buildings are to go on as planned.

Again, at this time GSU Public Safety has confirmed there is no longer a threat to campus. 

Check back for updates as we learn more.