Welcome to Hollywood: Southern Walk of Fame

• Errol Spence

Dates: Monday, Oct. 6-Saturday, Oct.11

Lead coordinator: Carlissa Hill

Organization involved: Fraternity and Sorority Life, University Housing, Multicultural Student Center, Office of Student Activities, Campus Recreation & Intramurals, International Diamond Center, Student Government Association, Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement, University Programming Board.

Homecoming Week Events Calendar

Monday, Oct. 6

Candidate Voting: Vote for Homecoming Duke, Duchess, King and Queen all day on MyInvolvement.

Banner Competition: Student organizations design theme-related banners that will hang on the Pedestrium throughout Homecoming.

Southern Walk of Fame: The Southern Walk of Fame is the the kick-off event of Homecoming week. Running from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday at the Rotunda, this event will have the opportunity for students to decorate their own personal stars to hang in Russell Union. Tables showcasing organizations will be giving out information, popcorn and refreshments will be provided and there will be a red carpet photo session available.

“The event is the kickoff event for Homecoming 2014,” Carlissa Hill, lead organizer and coordinator of homecoming week, said. “We thought, ‘How do we want to kick off this Homecoming week?’ We decided that we’d put together a bunch of different things over at the Russell Union to get the Homecoming feeling spreading.”

T-shirt swap: Students can exchange non-GSU collegiate apparel for a Homecoming 2014 t-shirt. If students do not have non-GSU collegiate apparel, they can pay $2 for the Homecoming 2014 t-shirt. Bring your Eagle ID to the Rotunda from noon to 1 p.m.

GSU Idol, Russell Union Ballroom, 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 7

Candidate Voting: Vote for Homecoming Duke, Duchess, King and Queen sll day on MyInvolvement.

Sculpt-It for the Hungry: Students can bring canned goods and use them to make sculptures related to the Homecoming theme in the Russell Union Commons from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The canned goods will be taken to the Statesboro Food Bank.

Screaming Eagles featuring Mentalist Christoper Carter: Bring your Eagle ID to the Russell Union Ballroom at 6 p.m.

“The ‘Screaming Eagles’ portion, which is a lip syncing competition, lets student orgs put on skits while pretending to sing, and Chris Carter is going to come in and perform as a mentalist, almost a mind reader,” Hill said.

Wednesday, Oct. 8

Real Eagles of Hollywood: This is a philanthropic event where students can create stars with encouraging notes for local students the Russell Union Rotunda, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Bring your Eagle ID.

Thursday, Oct. 9

Candidate Voting: Vote for Homecoming Duke, Duchess, King and Queen UNTIL NOON on MyInvolvement.

Biggest Fan on Campus Tailgate: Students can come, set up tailgates and participate in the Biggest Fan on Campus tournament at the Russell Union Rotunda from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Doo-Dah Dance and Step Show: Student organizations compete in different dance, step and Doo-Dah categories. Tickets can be purchased at the t-shirt swaps or in the UPB office. The event is at the Recreation Activity Center at 7 p.m.

“Doo-Dah is a tradition we’re never going to let die. It’s been around for a while and is always a highlight of Homecoming Week. Sixteen teams will compete in the Doo-Dah dance and step categories,” Hill said.

*Doo-Dah will be at the Recreational Activity Center this year because of ongoing construction work at Hanner Fieldhouse.

Friday, Oct. 10

Pennies for Eagles: Everyday at each noon event, students will have the chance to donate to the Eagles for Eagles event with a different twist each day.

Parade: Students from organizations, campus departments and members of the community can enter floats, Krazy Kars and characters. The parade starts at 4 p.m. at the College of Education and ends at Sweetheart Circle.

Hollywood Celebration: Starting at 5 p.m. at Sweetheart Circle, a celebration with games, activities and food will unfold for the announcement of the Homecoming Court and the crowning of the Duke and Duchess.

“All of the awards for the various activities and competitions throughout Homecoming week will be handed out at this event. We’ll have music with a live DJ and this will essentially get people excited for the big game on Saturday,” Hill said.

Outdoor Movie: Bring your Eagle ID for a special showing of the movie “Lucy” at Sweetheart Circle starting at 8 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 11

True Blue 5K: Starting at the RAC at 7:30 a.m., participants can show their GSU spirit by wearing GSU apparel and colors while running the True Blue 5K.

Football: Cheer on GSU vs. University of Idaho at Paulson Stadium at 6 p.m.

Crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen: At halftime of the football game, two of the candidates who received the most votes by their peers will be crowned the 2014 GSU Homecoming King and Queen.

2014 Homecoming Court Candidates:

Queen candidates:

• Miss Lauren Daniel, Senior kinesiology-exercise major from Athens, Ga. – Zeta Tau Alpha

• Miss Jackie Sansom, Senior multimedia communication from Alpharetta, Ga. – Alpha Omicron Pi

• Miss Brooklyn Smith, Senior public relations major from Thomasville, Ga. – Phi Mu

• Miss Alexandra McCray, Senior journalism major from Johns Creek, Ga. – Delta Phi Epsilon

• Miss Katie Strudthoff, Senior business administration major from Acworth, Ga. – Kappa Delta

• Miss Makenzie Simons, Senior early childhood education major from Westfield, In. – Alpha Delta Pi

• Miss Kirsten Fisher, Senior marketing major from Barnesville, Ga. – Kappa Kappa Gamma

King candidates:

• Mr. Jacoby Carpenter, Senior business administration major from Waynesboro, Ga. 

• Mr. Errol Spence, Senior political science major from Suwanee, Ga. – Student Government Association 

• Mr. Debrion Radford, Senior marketing major from Warner Robins, Ga. – Student African American Brotherhood

Duchess candidates:

• Miss Karaline Schmitz, Sophomore nursing major from Stafford, Va. – Zeta Tau Alpha

• Miss Jasmyn Bush, Junior multimedia communications major from Tallahassee, Fl. – Student African American Sisterhood

• Miss Kaitlin Kidwell, Junior political science major from Suwanee, Ga. – Student Government Association

• Miss Leanne Moore, Junior early childhood education major from Norcross, Ga. – Kappa Kappa Gamma

Duke candidates:

• Mr. DiArron Morrison, Junior general studies major from New Orleans, La. – Student Government Association

• Mr. Franklin Hagins, Sophomore logistics and intermodal transportation major with an information systems minor from Millens, Ga. – Student African American Brotherhood