Almost Maine

Laurianna Cull

From backstage to center stage and the lighting booth to the director’s seat, the Georgia Southern theatre department will be producing an entirely student run show called “Almost, Maine.”

“Almost, Maine” will be performed Oct 16-17 at 7:30 p.m. in room 1002 of Sanford Hall.

For the past several years, the GSU theatre department has chosen a student director to take on the enormous task of producing an entire show. This year’s student director is Ibi Owolabi.

The show Owolabi chose to direct is a love story which takes place in the mythical town of Almost, Maine. What’s intriguing about this particular show, however is that it does not just tell one love story; it tells nine.

“The play is surprising with several different couples falling in and out of love. The couples are young and older, going through things that all couples do with a twist of the unreal and behind it all are the beautiful northern lights bringing them together in this “almost” town,” junior theatre major and director Ibi Owolabi said.

This play offers a wide range of comedic characters and situations from asking to camp out on a stranger’s lawn, awkward professions of love, misspelled tattoos and much more. The characters range in age and oddity which has proved interesting for the actors involved.

“Rehearsals have been hilarious and it’s great to see the actors discovering new things about their characters,” Owolabi said.

After all of the hilarious rehearsals, the actors are eager to get the show up and running and perform their hilarityfor their fellow students.

“Everyone should come and watch “Almost, Maine” because it’s a real romantic comedy. I promise everyone will enjoy the show from start to finish. This cast works so well together, and the chemistry on stage is fantastic,” freshman theatre major and cast member, William Leach said.

Ticket prices are for $5 students.

“I think this show is perfect for a date night and cheaper than a movie ticket,” Owolabi said.