What does Hispanic Heritage Month mean to you?

Erinn Williams

Yesterday Georgia Southern students kicked-off the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month with a vibrant Flag Parade down the Pedestrium. This month of celebration, marked with food, dance and song, recognizes the contributions that Latino and Hispanic Americans have made and provides them with an opportunity to celebrate and showcase their heritage and cultures. As the festivities continue, it asks the question: What does Hispanic Heritage Month mean to you?

“Being Hispanic is something I have always prided myself on because of how diverse and strong my heritage is. Nothing against other heritages, but there is something amazing about accepting all of who you are, and because I’ve done that I truly emphasize the love for my heritage. The foods, music, language and love that we share as a whole is something special. It bonds us in ways that make it so easy to become friends with people from other Hispanic areas.” – Angel Salcedo, community leader and senior middle grades education major

“When it comes to Hispanic Heritage Month, I think that it is an amazing thing. It gives a lot of people a chance to learn about Hispanic heritage and culture, because many people do not know about it and this is a great opportunity for them to learn. It also provides an opportunity for Latinos on campus to grow and share what we have learned in our lives with other students.” – Chris Da Silva, sophomore mechanical engineering major and president of the Association of Latin American Students

“Even though I don’t really like the word Hispanic, because it denotes being of Spanish heritage and genealogically I am Colombian and Latina but not Hispanic, I think it is important. It signifies that the Latino culture is valuable. It helps to breakdown stereotypes about us. Even though many people think they know about our culture, it is a chance to show them who we truly are. All Latinos are different. Some of us have blonde hair and blue eyes, others are darker skinned, but our culture of food, dance and music ties us together and this month gives us the opportunity to talk about that.” – Michelle Lagoueyte, senior spanish major and vice president and treasurer of Hermandad de Sigma Iota Alpha, Incorporada.