Let’s Talk About the Real GSU Problems

Erinn Williams

I bet you thought this was another opinion bashing GSUProblems. Well, surprisingly it’s not! Actually, it is about something way more important. It’s about the real problems that are actually happening at Georgia Southern and how we as students react to them.

Now no one loves a good parody site more than college students. People love seeing the quirky funny things that happen on campus and the satire that goes along with them. We laugh at “my first beers,” joke about the flooding of IT and give a voice to our beloved mascot.

But what about the real problems happening at Georgia Southern? Why are they on the back burner and, more importantly, why does it take something tragic or majorly offensive to happen before we rally together as a student body and try to change something?

People were discussing the racial tension at GSU before, but it took an ill-fated sign before people thought it was a big enough deal to band together. Yet, we can easily join together to retweet half-naked photos of our classmates after a night of debauchery.

It took the loss of a fellow eagle before we started to question bar policies and underage drinking on a large scale, but we will sit and speculate on the scandalous private lives of the geese and ducks of Lakeside with no prompting.

Sure, the university is constantly working on and producing new programs to help prevent these issues, but what are we as students doing? The sad truth is that the majority of us are doing absolutely nothing.

We get on Yik Yak and rant and rave about the stupidest things. I’m sorry, but there are more important problems than your inability to get laid, the outfits sorority girls wear and the fact that you can’t find a good weed man since the drug crackdown.There are actual GSU problems we need to be worrying about.

I’m not saying not to get a good laugh in every now and then. As someone whose opinions on these very pages have included whether to twerk or not to twerk, what you can learn from reality TV and commentary on side-chicks, I would be a hypocrite to tell you not to laugh. What I am saying is: you should have an equal balance of concern for both the funny trivial things, and the hard-hitting struggles of our day to day existence.