‘Rate My Professor’ can be a crutch

Connor White

It’s one of the most popular tools at students’ disposal, a place where you can gauge a professor’s workload, helpfulness, and even their average grade all at once.You can read feedback from your classmates as they share their personal experiences with you.

And you can defeat the entire purpose of college by relying on it too heavily.

College has lost a lot of its meaning in the modern education system. Seen more as a necessary step to a decent wage than a place of learning, many students look for anything that will make the ordeal a little easier, and Rate My Professor more than fits the bill. But this kind of collegiate cherry-picking will only make the transition into the real world harder, and you’ll have no one to blame but yourself.

You shouldn’t base these kinds of decisions on what former (and possibly disgruntled) students have to say about your economics professor, just as you shouldn’t drop out of a career just because your new middle manager is a brown-nosing vulture that reeks of cigarettes. Dodging every professor you might disagree with is nothing more than a lack of confidence in your own limits and abilities. If you don’t test them, you’re watering down one of the core concepts of post-secondary education. College is a place to expand your mind and learn vital skills and experiences. If a professor grades harshly and demands near or perfect attendance, good. So does the job market.

There are just as many bad bosses as there are bad professors, and avoiding the latter deprives you the chance to prepare for the former. Obviously you don’t want to saturate your schedule with professors infamous for drawing and quartering their students (unless you have a death wish), but taking one or two teachers that demand you earn a good grade as instead of expect one isn’t just smart, it’s a fact of life.

Unless you’re being taught by Dolores Umbridge, try to stick it out. Your future self will thank you.