Team Up.

Emma Rose Collins

Registration for Fall 2014 Intramural Sports has officially kicked off with over 13 sports available for students to participate in.

Below are the registration dates for the different sports:

• Flag Football: Aug. 25-Sept. 9
  • Pre-Season Flag Football: Aug. 18-Sept. 2
  • Cornhole: Sept. 1-Sept. 16
  • Fall Golf: Sept. 29-Oct. 14
  • Tennis Doubles: Sept. 15-Sept. 30
  • Basketball: Oct. 20-Nov. 4
  • Indoor Soccer: Sept. 22-Oct. 7
  • Swim Meet: Nov. 12 (on-site registration)
  • Dodgeball: Aug. 18-Sept. 2
  • Volleyball: Sept. 22-Oct. 7

Registration for kickball, fall softball and ultimate have already closed.

Intramural sports are a great opportunity for students to get involved in a sport on campus as well as form new friendships while staying active.

Ryan Wingers, an Intramural Sports program director at the RAC, encourages students to give intramural sports a try.

“Why not? It’s social and you can be on a team. It’s a great way to get involved and meet new people.”

For those students who have played intramurals in the past, Wingers warned that the registration process will be somewhat different this year.

“This year, you can’t just show up and present a student ID. We’re trying to avoid that hassle.”

Going into effect this year, students are required to go online to the CRI website and create a user profile, then join a team roster. Any questions regarding this process can be directed to the CRI office.

For those students who would prefer to be involved with a paid position, CRI is hosting Officials’ Clinics to train students to officiate over intramural games for the Fall.

Below are the times and locations for those clinics:

• Flag Football Sept. 2 9:00 p.m. Seminar Room
  • Sept. 3 9:00 p.m. Multiplex
  • Sept. 4 9:00 p.m. Multiplex
  • Indoor Soccer Sept. 29 9:00 p.m. Seminar Room
  • Sept. 30 9:00 p.m. MAC Gym
  • Volleyball Sept. 30 9:00 p.m. Seminar Room
  • Oct. 1 9:00 p.m. RAC Courts

CRI is also proud to host several big events this semester, Wingers said.

The CRI Golf Championship is scheduled for Oct.17, and registration can be completed from Sept. 29-Oct. 14.

On Oct. 28, CRI will host Battleships, a fun-filled game that will take place in the RAC indoor swimming pool. Students are encouraged to get teams together to participate in this unique event.

Lastly, CRI will host the Georgia Collegiate Flag Football Championships Nov. 21-23.

“Close to fifty intramural flag football teams will be coming to Georgia Southern to participate, all playing for a chance to go to nationals,” Wingers said.

For more questions regarding these events or intramural sports, visit the CRI office (RAC 2116) or their website, www.recreation.georgiasouthern.edu.