Rocking the RAC

Alia Lewis

What do an avid rock climber and an inexperienced student have in common? They both have the opportunity to get belay certified and improve their bouldering skills, all while having an amazing time doing it!

The Belay Clinic

On Tuesday, Southern Adventures will host a free belay clinic for students.

This clinic will teach students the do’s and don’ts of belaying and how to secure the climber so they won’t fall.

Upon completion of the clinic, students will have the opportunity test their skills, both written and physical. Once passed, students will become belay certified at the RAC.

Kevin Sherfane, junior geology major said students should come to “spread the knowledge and education about climbing.”

He also mentions that if they become certified and go climbing with their friends at the RAC, they won’t have to wait in line and can climb on their own as long as a climbing employee is present.

The belay clinic will be this Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Southern Adventures Center inside the RAC.

Bouldering Night Out

After the belay clinic, Southern Adventures will host Bouldering Night Out this Thursday.

Bouldering Night Out is a once per month event where students come out and climb in the bouldering cave. “It’s like a mini competition,” Matt Edmond, senior general studies major said. “It’s a good time. [You] follow the taped climbs. The higher you go, the more points you get.”

Students compete based on the level of difficulty. There is no experience needed, so everyone is encouraged to come.

“It’s fun. There are a bunch of people who come out and there’s a pretty inviting crowd,” Edmond said.

At Bouldering Night Out, there will be food and prizes given throughout the night.

Since this year’s theme is superheroes, there will be a custom contest for the best dressed. Students aren’t required to dress up in order to attend.

Bouldering Night Out is free for all students and everyone is welcome to come. The event will start at 7 p.m. this Thursday in the bouldering cave inside of the RAC.