Working for power and getting stronger: What you need is Madness

Derik Wuchte

You know fitness matters, but you don’t know the best way to do it. What you need is some licensed and experienced help. Luckily for you, the Recreation Activity Center is bringing back their bonafide program to help you out.

This is the answer

Madness in the Meadow is a high-intensity training program created to “provide a break from your normal routine,” according to the Georgia Southern University website.

“Madness was started as a program to benefit Georgia Southern students,” Drew Powell, fitness program graduate assistant, said. “It’s obviously outdoors and it’s meant to be nontraditional.”

Powell is a trainer for Madness. He helped develop Madness into what it is today and has been a big component to its success. As one of the program’s guides, he will be helping again this year.

The Meadow

Madness will be taking place in a field called the Meadow, from which its name originates. Located next to the RAC Pavilion, the Meadow features all sorts of different exercise opportunities ranging from chin-up bars to monkey bars to whatever else the trainers have on hand.

The program is going on its third year. It was founded by David Purser who implemented the idea with a strong following. This semester will mark the 7th continuous time Madness has been held at GSU. It has been a consistent way for Eagles to adopt a new workout regimen and it is not expected to go away, so long as the support for it remains.

The Madness

The experience that Madness offers will work your body in completely new ways. People will understand that nontraditional feeling once their bodies take on unfamiliar workouts to them. Atlas stones, gigantic rocks normally used in strongman competitions to lift from one spot to the next, are an example of what someone can expect when starting the program. “Big ole’ ropes,” better known by the trainers as “battle ropes,” are another example of such a workout, Powell explained

“You can come with no skills.” Powell said. Madness will begin with a simpler, doable branch of exercises. It will still be tough but not impossible. “Competitive is not for everyone. If you don’t feel competitive, this may not be for you. If you don’t think you’re a competitive person, you may not have done something competitive before.” Madness is looking to push people past their limits. They want to take those people who go on light jogs and get them running. That is their motivation and goal to better people throughout the year.

Madness does not ask anything of its participants, besides dedication and willingness. “It’s completely free as long as you come to it.” Powell said. “It’s basically open to the community so anyone who comes out is in. All we ask is that you sign a waiver.”

When does the Madness begin??

Madness will start at the beginning of the semester and carry on until the end of it. The schedule is set for Mondays and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. As mentioned, it is open to all Georgia Southern University students and the local community. The program will have its final day of the semester on November 20.