What happened at Wham Bam?

Laurianna Cull

This past Friday, Georgia Southern students gathered in the Center for Art and Theatre. A mere 24 hours later, the students emerged to perform a series of ten minute plays that were entirely student written, directed, and performed. But what exactly happened in the Black Box Theatre after hours?

Friday

7 p.m.: Students arrive, and the freshmen get acquainted with the upperclassmen.

7:30 p.m.: Students get in touch with their inner child as they play games that keep them running all around the theater in an attempt not to get tagged.

8:30 p.m.: Free pizza arrives, and students attack the hot boxes.

9:30 p.m.: The writers draw names out of a bag to find their directors, and director’s do the same to find their actors. The scene groups are formed. All of the groups scour to find a quiet corner and discuss fun scene ideas.

10:30 p.m.: Students honor the late Robin Williams with a viewing and sing along of Disney’s Aladdin.

12 a.m.: Students let their minds wander into the gutter as they break out the game, Cards Against Humanity. The giggles and snickers grew louder as more and more students joined the card game circle bundled up in their blankets and sleeping bags.

3 a.m.: Students start nodding off while others stay up wide-eyed staring at their lap-tops trying to write a scene that will be showcased the next night.

Saturday

3 p.m.: After 12 hours, the writers, actors, and directors come together again, and the actors and director see their group’s script for the first time.

4 p.m.: Students start taking turns practicing their scenes in the Black Box theater.

6 p.m.: Students start their tech rehearsals with lights, sound, and plenty of action.

7:30 p.m.: As the audience starts filtering in, actors scramble in the dressing rooms to get into costume and run their lines with each other. Some of the actors wore heals, camouflage, and wigs while others dressed like the cast of Harry Potter.

7:45 p.m.: Writers, actors, and directors debut their 10 minute plays created in only 24 hours and left the audience laughing aloud at times and tearing up at others.

10 p.m.: Students take their bow.