Seize the night this Friday the 13th

•  

Martinique Mccrory

Students, no longer does the go-to summer alternative for the bar scene of Statesboro mean another night at home with Netflix.

Brainiacs, a private park banked beside a 40-acre lake off Highway 301, is opening up its private property this Friday night for the Carpe Noctem event at 6 p.m.

“The mantra ‘carpe diem’ has become such a staple in student culture. It’s time for Georgia Southern to take it to the next level and seize the night,” Phillip Sheffield, Founder and CEO of Brainiac Studios, said.

Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets, coolers and picnic supplies to relax and enjoy the live music of the event. A costume contest will be judged from 8 — 10 p.m. for anyone wanting to dress up and win prizes for their getup. The cover for the event will be $5.

“It’s Friday the 13th [that] night. It’s a full moon, so it all plays perfectly in taking control of the time that you have and making up for all the nonsense you put up with during the day,” Sheffield said.

The facility isn’t only for those seeking nightly entertainment. During the day, Brainiacs offers a $10 monthly membership where members can fish, swim and go boating without having to drive far off campus.

“I want the world to come out and see what an amazing place this is and do something with it. This is Statesboro’s best kept secret right now,” Alex Jones, Operations Manager of Brainiac Studios, said.

The future construction plans for the venue include a beach, a zen garden and an area for frisbee golf. The brains behind the property are seeking to produce an inspirational, creative environment in Statesboro that spurs students to interact with the community away from the bars of the plaza.

Sheffield said, “Brainiacs is a beautiful place and we want to share that beauty with Statesboro and Georgia Southern.”