Senior goodbye: These aren’t the best years

Jessie Reese

The last four years have flown by, and I can’t believe that I am leaving and passing the torch on to the people who I will forever see as my candidate babies.

Holding the record for most jobs in Student Media, I can honestly say that the jobs we do are not easy. They are incredibly hard, and I am so proud of us for sticking it out.

I’m not going to say the cliché, “These are the best years of your life,” because let’s face it; they aren’t. I will say that these four years were definitely the most stressful of my life, balancing basically a full-time job with being a full-time student. There were many all-nighters and late layout nights. But honestly, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

These four years have changed me for the better. I realized my potential and made some of the best friends I’ll ever have. It’s amazing how well you get to know someone when you spend every Monday and Wednesday night yelling at each other about deadlines.

I have learned more through Student Media than my four-year degree could have ever given me, and I am so thankful for the opportunities that I was given because I was a part of such an amazing organization.

After I walk across the stage next week, I will miss the people who work so hard to deliver the news to this campus. I will miss the offices where I spent more time than I did my own house. I will miss coming in to see my head photoshopped onto someone else’s body and plastered all over the walls. I will miss the office pranks, and I will even miss the newsroom ghost.

My advice to those who come after me is to not let people get you down. Don’t let all the haters pull you into a depression. Use them to fuel your fire (but not literally).  Learn from your mistake, if you made one, and if you didn’t, show them that they’re wrong by continuing to make a great product. Remember that it is easier to complain behind a computer screen, and that people usually only say something when they aren’t happy. You won’t usually see the praise, but you should know that there is a huge team of support out there who really think you are doing a fantastic job.

My favorite lesson I learned from student media? As long as you can back up your decision, you can totally put a certain four-letter “f” word on the front page (twice!).

Thanks for a great four years, student media. I will miss you all.

Jessie Reese will walk next week and graduate in July with a B.S. in journalism. She has worked for Student Media for the last four years and holds the title for most positions in Student Media. Those jobs ranged from reporter to managing editor to Reflector editor. After graduation, she hopes to pursue a career in media.