Senior goodbye: I’d do it all the same

Jackie Gutknecht

Is this really happening? Am I really writing my last column as “The Statesboro Standard” for my last edition of The George-Anne? I can honestly say, I never thought this day would come.

In my time setting the standard I ruffled some feathers of Eagle Nation, ranted about things that annoy me and gave some tips for having a good time in this little boondock town.

There are a lot of things I am going to miss about GSU. I am going to miss all of my best friends being in one place, and knowing I can call them at any time to hang out. I’m going to miss El Som margaritas. I am going to miss all of my friends in Student Media and the exciting feeling I got when I saw students reading The George-Anne every Tuesday and Thursday.

If I had one super power it would be to travel back in time. I wish I could relive my four years at Georgia Southern, not to do anything differently, but just to do it all again.

There are definitely some things I probably won’t miss at GSU. I can’t imagine ever missing late nights at Club Henderson, or the unofficial school mascot, the gnat.

I will forever take pride in my degree and the fact that it has the name of the real GSU at the top of it. Georgia Southern has been my home for the last four years, and even though I may be leaving, it will never leave me.

Take care of my home, Eagle Nation. Continue to support its growth and let it become the powerhouse we all know it can be.

Hail Southern and no place else!

Jackie Gutknecht will graduate next week with a B.S. in journalism. She was part of Student Media for over two years and spent her last semester as the Investigative Reporter in the News section and a guest columnist in the Opinions section. She plans to work an internship this summer with Deep South Magazine but has no full-time position lined up after that. If you need to find her after graduation, she will probably be sitting in a barstool at El Som clinging to the idea that she’s still in college.