Headliner talent set to rock stage

Armond Snowden

Next Tuesday will not be just any night at the coffee house. Students will get an opportunity to see all the top acts from the semester of open mic events at the upcoming University Programming Board (UPB) Unplugged Headliner concert.

The concert will feature the headlining acts from this semester and headliners from previous semesters.

Each of the six performers will have a longer set than the usual couple of songs given to performers at traditional unplugged performances. This will allow them to showcase more of their skills within their set.

One of the most appealing aspects of the concert is that it allows the artists to have an opportunity to support and interact with their fellow student artists.

“The main purpose is to showcase the brightest and best students who have participated in unplugged, and kind of give it a chance for all of our headliners to listen to each other and for our participants and the people who come to our events to basically just get an evening of hearing the best and brightest of Georgia Southern,” said Steven Dziama, late night programming chair of UPB.

Students will also have the opportunity to experience a variety of musical styles. Styles range from acoustic to gospel rap, pop to country and other types of music.

Jaye Gardner, junior marketing major/fashion merchandising minor and Unplugged headliner, encourages students to come out and enjoy the show.

“There’s definitely a variety so it’s not just like oh ‘that’s too country for me.’ There’s a variety of acts. It’s a nice environment, you get to see a lot of people you recognize, just sitting there listening in,” Gardner said.

The performers for the Spring 2014 Headliner Concert are: Jaye Gardner, Corine Richard, Carlos Sims, Hamilton “Troy” Hayes, Spencer Paul, and Terico Agnew with the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.

The concert will be on April 22 inside of the Russell Union commons and there will be free coffee provided by Starbucks for attendees.